Spicy Masala Poha Recipe is best breakfast recipe I have grown with. Poha Recipe is easy to make, healthy, quick and almost loved by everyone and every age of people.
Flatten Rice recipes are originate from western country of India, but its simplicity and healthiness make it extremely popular all over India. It is included my weekly menu. I generally cook poha in so many different ways.
Poha recipe is basically come from Maharashtra where most famous poha recipe is Kanda Poha (Kanda means onion) where Poha is cooked with onions basically. You can have as many vegetables as have. Every kitchen in India have their own recipe for poha and they may have different vegetables in their recipes.
It was included in my lunchbox menu during my school days. And I love this recipe as breakfast even in daily menu. But after my marriage when I shifted to Ahmadabad, my family never had it as breakfast. And they use it as light dinner recipe.
My husband always asks for this Masala poha Recipe. He don’t like that basic yellow color kanda poha recipe. He says, make it RED in color. Means add more spices to make it more interesting. He loves this recipe as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I have tried almost 10 -12 poha recipes with different vegetable and different spices. Among them, this masala recipe is almost everyone’s favorite in our family. I generally prefer tomato, onions and peas with poha. But I have tried mix vegetable poha recipe in which I cooked poha with almost all types of vegetables. Potato poha is also very good combo in poha recipe.
I am goona share my best recipes with poha and I am DAM sure, you will love all recipes which I have tasted in my kitchen, and now they are part of my daily menu.
How to cook Spicy Masala Poha Recipe:
You need to soak flatten rice first. To get perfect result follow the “avoid mistakes” section given in below. You can add vegetable ratio as per you taste.
Heat the oil into pan, and cumin seeds.
The vegetable as per you likes.
then add tomatoes and let it cook for a while. the amount if chilies as per your taste. For kids, you can avoid it. But ginger will give a good twist. I suggest do not avoid it.
The add all spices. and mix them well with vegetables.
Finally add flatten rice and cook give a good stir.
Add some sugar and lemon juice. sugar is totally optional. water will helps to cook flatten rice perfectly with spices.
Your spicy poha Recipe is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Spicy Masala Poha Recipe
- Key to make perfect poha recipe is how to soak poha. My one of friend suggested the best way to soak poha, that’s I am goona share with you. Take poha into bowl, add some water and wash. Now rinse it. Again add some water and rinse then.
- Then using transfer poha in strainer and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, press a grain, it must be soften and soggy. If you find it little harder, sprinkle some water into it. Let it sit another 5 minutes.
- While cooking poha, also add 2-3 tbsp water to mi all indigents together, and you will have beautiful taste of all spices.
- After adding poha into vegetable do not cook more. Make sure you are stiring continuously to avoid sticking poha t bottom of the pan.
Spicy Masala Poha Recipe | How to make Flattened Rice
- 1 cup poha
- ⅓ cup onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 lime juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves for garnish
- Take poha in large bowl, add water, wash it, and rinse it. Again pour some water, rinse it and let it sit for 10 minutes in strainer.
- Poha should not crunchy, when you break them with hand, it should easily crushed and mashed.
- To cook it, Take 1 tbsp oil into pan, heat it. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Then add curry leaves, onion and tomato and cook them till they are soften. Now add green chili paste and ginger paste into it. let cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add masala like turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. mix them well
- The add poha and mix it well. Then add half cup water and cover with lid and cover with 2-3 minutes.
- at last add some sugar, lemon juice and pinch of garam masala. stir all together and again cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with some fresh coriander leaves.
2) Good lunchbox recipe for kids also, you can adjust amount of chili for kids.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!
March 27, 2020 at 11:21 am
I will try this at home.
May 8, 2020 at 8:23 pm
These quantities will be sufficient for how many people?
May 13, 2020 at 9:28 pm
For two people.
March 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
My brother recommended I might like this website.
He was once entirely right. This post actually made my day.
You can not imagine simply how a lot time
I had spent for this info! Thanks!