Moong Dal Khichdi recipe is an most comfort Indian one pot vegetarian meal which basically consists of rice and lentils. If you make right, you will have extremely tasty, comfortable and healthy one meal with minimum efforts. Anyone can make it, have it at any time.
The last few days were difficult due to some my baby’s illness, I barely got some time for cooking ourselves. She didn’t leave me for a second, because she has first flu of her life. She didn’t understand what was wrong with her.
So, in those days, Khichdi was the best options to cook for all of us. Her doctor suggested the light, comfort food which can be easily digest and also give best nutrition. And none other than khichdi would full fill the requirements.
Last week, I was wondering what our national food is. I goggled it, I was shocked that Answer was khichdi. So, I planned to have some good and more khichdi recipes on the blog now.
The very basic, simple, most nutritional khichadi recipe is moong dal khchdi. You can have as lunch, dinner with milk, curd or even with kadhi recipe.
I have used green moong lentil which is full of fiber and protein. This is healthy and easy to digest so when you stomach is upset, you are not feeling good to have meal, then this is best meal for you.
For toddlers, when they are starting to eat solids, this is the healthiest meal for them. You can cook more runny constituency for toddler by adding more water and cooking more.
TO get best result for any khichdi Recipe You need to remember the ratio:
1 cup lentil + rice mixture : 3 cups water.
If you are making, 1 cup rice and lentil mixture, use 3 cups water to cook the khichdi in pressure cooker.
2 cups mixture, you will have 6 cups of water and likewise. Every time I measure and cook. I always get the best result for it.
You can find another Masala Khichdi Recipe which full of vegetables.
So, let’s start cooking it.
How to cook Moong Dal khichdi Recipe:
Start with proper ratio of lentil and rice. You need to use short trice for khishdi. And 1 cup rice ratio with half cup of any lentils will give perfect khichdi recipe.
After soaking, in pressure cooker add ghee, once it is heated, add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
Then add soaked rice and lentil mixture and adjust salt and water.
Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. and you will have smooth, silky and runny khichdi.
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Moong Dal Khichdi
- For any type of khichdi, the rice + lentil and water ratio is well-defined. 1 cup rice with 3 cups of water.
- For better smooth khichdi, you need to soak the mixture for at least half an hour.
- Add ghee while cooking in pressure cooker. This will help to have smooth, velvety texture.
Moong Dal Khichdi | How to Make Green Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 1 cup short rice
- ½ cup green spilt lentils
- 1 tbsp ghee
- pinch of asafoetida
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 4.5 cups water
- Take 1 cup rice and half cup lentils. Wash them; add 2 cups of water into it. let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
- In pressure cooker add ghee, once it is heated, add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Now add soaked mixture and adjust the salt.
- Then add sharp 3 times water. You have 1.5 cup rice+lentil mixture, so 4.5 cups water.
- Cook for 4-5 whistles. Wait till pressure cooker release the pressure. Then open the lid and serve hot with kadhi.
2) It is best combo to complete meal with some curd and papad.
3) Sometimes, you can add milk into it. Just have simple meal.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!