Hello friends! This fusion recipe Fenugreek Toasts (known as Methi Toasts in Hindi), will surely makes you hungry though you just ate! Who don’t like Indian Pakora or Vada ot Frillters! I am sure you have tried the famous Bread Pakoda. This Fenugreek Toasts are slightly twisted from typical Bread Pakora recipe.
In previous week, I have shared a very authentic street food Batata Vada Recipe. And I also made promise to share different versions of typical pakora recipes. So, here I am sharing very different and fusion recipe of Fenugreek Toasts which is a combination of Methi Pakora and very ordinary Fried Toasts.
This is very simple, quick, easy, crispy, tangy, delicious, unique and my favorite snack recipe, I am bet on that you will cook more and more… When you are talking about Indian snacks, and especially for pakora recipes than, methi pakora first comes in the picture. Pakora can be made from any veggies like onion, paneer, cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes etc. All you need do is, to create batter, dip different veggies into batter and fry it. So simple but damn delicious.
Let me tell you story behind this creation. On one fine monsoon evening, I decided to make Pakora for dinner. I made Methi Pakora and also Batata Vada. I was frying pakora, and serving to all others members. After everyone have finished with the dinner, I realized that too much batter is left. Then I found there is also bread in fridge. I took bread, make triangle cut from it, and put batter on one side, and fried it. And I was surprised, it worked. Bread came out well from frying pan, without spreading into oil. I asked my husband to give a try. And I still remember his face when he tasted it. He was stunned by the recipe and little disappointed because he wanted to eat more, but he just had finished dinner! He said why you always do all experiments in last. 😉
So, I am sure, everyone will love this Fenugreek Toasts as nothing can beats its taste. The batter I have used is the same as Methi Pakora recipe batter, but you can add chopped onion into batter to enhance the taste.
Deep Fried Fenugreek Toasts (Methi Toasts)
- 1 cup gram flour (chickpea flour)
- ⅔ cup chopped fenugreek leaves
- 2 spicy green chilies finely chopped
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- ⅓ tbsp salt
- ¼ tbsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 cup water
- 5 slice of bread
- oil for frying
- Take a large bowl, first add baking soda and salt, now add lemon juice and add half cup water and stir it roughly.
- Add all other ingredients (gram flour, fenugreek leaves, green chilies, turmeric powder, asafoetida). Now add remaining water create batter like cake batter consistency.
- Now hot the oil in pan for frying toast
- Take one bread slice, make diagonal cut, so you will get two piece of triangle shape of bread.
- Spread the batter on one side bread and put gently into frying pan, make sure side on which you spreaded batter must be on top. Gas must be on medium heat.
- After 1-2 minutes, turn the bread slice, and let the cook the batter cook. Don’t worry, batter remains stick to bread, it does not spread out into oil. Let it cook till bread become golden brown.
- Serve as hot with tea or any beverages.
2) You need to serve it as hot. You cannot store it. it loses its crispiness if you store it.
Avoid Mistakes on first attempt of making Fenugreek Toasts
- This is very easy and quick recipe. You can change the taste accordingly.
- The critical part is creating batter. Don’t forget to add baking soda or fruit salt or soda by-cab into batter.
- The consistency of this batter is also giving it good texture. You should keep up the consistency of batter as like cake consistency. Don’t make it thinner.
- The spiciness of the stuffing is up to you, if you want to make it spicier then add more green chilies.
- Don’t spread batter on all the bread slices prior to fry them. When you are ready to fry toast, then spread the batter on bread slice and immediately fry it one by one. This trick will help to add extra crispiness to your toasts.
If you will do any variations I am eager to know that. Tell me your feedback and share your story with me. 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!