I am eager to share wheat halwa recipe with jaggary which also known as “Wheat Flour Halwa ” or “Whole Wheat Pudding”. It is an Indian traditional dessert referred as “Aatte ka halwa” in Hindi. This is a simple but solid breakfast. It is basically festival dish, but it could be made occasionally or even on day-to-day when you want to have it. There is a famous Halwa-Poori dish, served with spicy poori made with wheat flour along with this.
Now a days there are so many snacks, biscuits, cookies available but during my childhood time, we don’t have too many options for ready-made breakfast. So in my school days, this was one of my favorite breakfast. As we all know mom’s cooking is the best, even not comparable against world’s best chefs. I used to ask my mom to make wheat halwa with jaggery only, once or twice a week. In fact, I learnt how to make Wheat flour halwa using jaggery from her.
In breakfast usually we are eating pancakes, cookies and biscuits. In many case, you may realize that; all of them contain Refined wheat flour (maida). Whole wheat flour this is a great substitute for it. You can include dry fruits of your choice like almonds, cashews or raisins with this pudding to make it more delicious and more nutritious.
Traditionally, this pudding is made with sugar (health’s greatest enemy), yet I have attempted this pudding with Jaggery (Gudd). Jaggery makes it more delicious and healthy too.
Here I have not included any flavors to this pudding, just to get the best kind of the whole wheat flour halwa. You can likewise include some measure of rava or sooji to give good texture to this pudding.
how to make wheat halwa with jaggery
Take all ingredients with proper measurements. Any halwa recipe is required little proper measurement to give justice to recipe.
You can make 2 more recipes using the same ingredients.
First heat the water and jaggary into pan. let the jaggary total devolve into water and bring to the boil.
Now strain jaggary solution into bowl with strainer.
heat the pan, add ghee and melt till ghee will be in liquid form. then add flour and start stir it into ghee. if require, add 1-2 tbsp ghee more.
I needed more 2 tbsp ghee to get below constitancy.
After cooking for 5-7 minutes on medium flame, flour will look little dark and fell light before it.
its time add jaggary solution. and stir continuously while adding it.
after 2 mintues your wheat halwa is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Wheat Halwa Recipe | Atta halwa
- Use the proper amount of all ingredients. you need at least 1.5 cup water against 1 cup wheat flour.
- Type of jaggery may matters. I have used organic jaggary which is dark in colour. It is more sweet than white jaggery. So I have used little less then 1/2 cup.
- if you use sugar than no need to use water. Just add sugar after roasting the flour into ghee. and mix and stir until sugar get devolve into it.
Wheat Halwa Recipe | Atta halwa
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (200gm)
- ½ cup ghee
- ½ cup jaggery
- 1.5 cup water
- 2-3 almonds (for garnishing)
- In sauce pan, add water and jaggery. Boil the water till jaggery gets melt at medium heat. In between you need to stir them well. After that using Strainer, strain jaggery solution, and again heat in same pan but very low flame of gas.
- Heat the ghee pan. I prefer non stick pan. Just let ghee to liquid form, if it is already in liquid form, no need to heat it, immediately follow next step
- Add wheat flour into ghee, continuously stirring till color changes to brown, and you get aroma of roasted flour.
- Once flour is starting to release ghee, switch of gas of jaggery solution.
- Carefully add that jaggery solution slowly into whole wheat flour by continuously stir with all your hand force so that no lumps are formed.
- Keep stirring till this pudding absorb water and get thick smooth form. After it absorb water switch off flame.
- Serve it warm with almond flakes and you can add cashews nuts for garnishing
2) For babies under 1 year, you can make wheat halwa more runny. you just need double the ratio of flour and water means 1 cup flour and 2 cups water.
Try whole wheat flour halwa recipe at home and let me know your experiences…..!!!!! 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!
January 24, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Hello, the halwa recipe is really delicious and far easy to follow. Thanks for sharing. Keep the good work up. Thanks
January 28, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Thank you for your comment… Glad to know that you liked it.
February 23, 2016 at 9:43 am
Looks good vdefinattly I will try it…
February 23, 2016 at 10:17 am
I am glad you like it.. I am waiting for your feedback after you give it a try. 🙂
March 6, 2021 at 4:52 am
Hello Reena ,
What a change of career. Good Luck. I am going to prepare this halwa in the next day or so, I do not think I can obtain the same type of wheat (more coarse ground than fine ground) flour in Australia. I will let you know how it goes. I am a diabetic but do have a sweet tooth.
April 4, 2021 at 10:21 am
Hay Antony, Thank for stepping by. Do try and please share your feedback