Whole Green Moong Dal Recipe or green gram curry soup recipe is always popular as dal recipes in every daily kitchen in India.
Sabut Moong dal is very easy and healthy recipe and staple recipe in my everyday kitchen. During Navratri and some festival days, most of the Indian families consume green moong dal without onion and garlic.
So, I am introducing my kitchen’s Moong dal recipe which is made without onion and garlic.
This recipe is very popular in northern states of Indian which is always made with some onion tomato based gravy. But my recipe includes very homely basic ingredients.
You can find more Dal recipes like Dhaba Style Dal Fry, Urad Dal Recipe, Masoor Dal Recipe from my everyday recipe plans.
As vegetarian, Lentils are major source of proteins. Also, great source of soluble fiber which is extra benefits of this green moong dal recipe.
In western countries, everyone is moving from meat lover to totally vegan diet. So, for vegan lentils recipes are way to important. In India, you can find lots of variation with lentils and paneer. We are using Dal and rice as staple daily food and it part of weekly menus.
Here, I am going to share my weekly DAL MENU which include this whole green moong dal recipe.
How to cook whole moong dal recipe
First cook the green moong in pressure cooker. It’s depends on soaking time of moong. I generally soak it for 20 minutes. However if I do not get time for soaking then I will cook fore more whistles.
Now add tomatoes and green chili and ginger into boiled moong. Then start tempering. Heat the oil inot pa, add mustered seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cloves, 1 dry chili, cinnamon stick, curry leaves.
Then, add boiled moong, and add some water.
Adjust salt. Then add jaggery which is totally optional. Now add lemon juice.
Again adjust the red chilli powder, coriander powder as per your taste.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Whole green Moong dal Recipe
- If you are soaking moong then it will take less time to cook. But when I am in hurry some times and I do not have time for soaking, I will cook in pressure cooker by more whistles.
- You can have garlic in this recipe. We do not like garlic in moong dal recipe, so we avoid it.
Whole Green Moong Dal Recipe Without Onion and Garlic
- 2 cups whole moong
- 3 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of water
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 inch of ginger piece grated
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Soak whole moong for 30 minutes. you can also soak them overnight. If your soaking time is longer then, then pressure cooking time will reduce.
- Drain water and take whole moong into pressure cooker. Less soaking requires more pressure cooker whistles. It may require 5-8 whistles.
- once the pressure cooker cools down completely, open it add 2 cups of water and mash with some spatula
- Now add tomato, green chili and ginger into it.
- Heat the oil into heavy bottom pan, mean while in small bowl mix turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala.
- In heated oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Immediately add asafoetida, curry leaves, dried red chili and masala powder mix. add boiled moong and let it simmer
- After 2-3 minutes add salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Do not cover with lid, cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add some plenty of fresh cilantro and server with roti or rice.
2) Yon can make it more watery if you will server with plain steamed rice
3) You can have lumpy non-watery consistency if you want eat with roti or paratha.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!