Sweet and spicy mango pickle can be made in 2 ways and both are totally different Recipes. One is totally sweet mango pickle and another is both sweet and spicy which balance sourness of mango and give a chilli hit.
This is the traditional Indian Gujarati pickle which is also known as “Chunda Pickle”. This is my second pickle recipe on the blog with another foolproof Pickle Recipe.
I have been practicing mango pickle recipes since 10 years. Every year I got some issues due to some mistakes that failed me. But every time I learned from that mistakes and start over.
Both Sweet and Spicy Pickle Recipes always ask for precision, you may find difficult at your younger age, I totally agree with that because you can make it once in a year! All you have 1 chance to make pickle in each year and waiting for result to get success thought out the year.
You can find another mango pickle recipes here
Let’s talk about Sweet Mango pickle Recipe first. Do you know why Mango season is in hot summer? RAW Mango has powder to beat hit in summer. You can make super cooler drink “Shiknji” which made from boiled raw mango.
This sweet mango pickle also has cool nature. It will give you relief from heat. It is also called “Murabbo”. In ayurveda, You can find so many benefits of this pickle. This is always side dish in my lunch menu when I have some spicy curry in menu.
It contains lots of sugar, but small portion of sweet mango pickle will keep you sway from acidity and gas problem.
This is super easy and can be made in limited time.
Start with Mango and sugar precision.
1 kg Mango : 1.5 kg sugar
This is very important step, If you are planning to have 1 kg mango, then sugar must be around 1.5 times means 1.5 kg sugar.
If you are using 2 kgs mangoes, then your sugar amount is 3 kg… And so on.
how to make raw mango sweet pickle:
First step is you need to peel the mango. Then grate them.
Then in deep heavy bottom pan, add grated mango and add 2-3 cups of water to boil that mango. Keep stirring during the boiling process. just cook for 10 minutes, then tranfer into strainer and let it cool. Do not over squish the water.
In the same pan, take sugar, and add water. The amount of water is to just cover the sugar. for 1.5 kg you may need 2-3 cups water.
Now the tricky part comes. You need to make sugar syrup at right constituency. If you have runny sugar syrup then your pickle does not have long life. And if you have hard sugar syrup you may have crystals in your pickle.
To get perfect sugar syrup, you have string taste. Cook sugar for 15 minutes at least stir continuously. Take some drop into another dish, and let it cool for a while and then using thumb and first finger try to make string out of it just given in below image.
at first you can have only one string is created. let sugar syrup cook more, meanwhile do the string tasting until you get 2 perfect string at the same time. Sometimes it takes 20-40 minutes. It must be thick enough to hold the 2 strings as given in image.
Now add the boiled mango. The boiled mango releases some water, let the water burn and cook for another 15 minutes. And do the string taste. Cook until you get 2 strings again. This will take 30-40 minutes.
Finally add 2-3 tbsp cinnamon and 2-3 tbsp cardamom. Mix it well into pickle. Let it cool completely. And then you can store it glass jar container.
Let’s start with another spicy mango pickle.This is time consuming recipe. You cannot make it in 2-3 hours. beascuese this is sun-dried mango pickle recipe.
How to make Spicy Mango Pickle Recipe
Peel the mangos and grate them. Then add salt and turmeric powder and mix it well. leave it for overnight.
After at least 12 hour marinating, mango will release some water. You need to squish excess water. Do not over squish more, otherwise you pickle will be dry. we want some runny constituency.
Now add sugar mix it well. Then cover with some white muslin cloth and leave it in sunlight for whole day.
After DAY-1, open it, and stir it well, if sugar is not fully dissolved, the again cover with the cloth and leave it into sunlight for another day.
It may take 2-3 days. It is depends on the amount of pickle and sunlight. I got perfect result in 2 days.
Then add 2 cups red chili powder it’s depends on the amount of spiciness you prefer. Add 2 tbsp roughly crush cumin seeds. You can also use cumin powder.
Please give a rest for a week before enjoying it as side dish.
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Sweet and Spicy Mango Pickle
- Use the proper amount of measurement as described above.
- For sweet mango pickle, please make sure that your sugar syrup is tick enoght to get right constituency. Do the string taste as describe above.
- The spicy mango pickle is cooked in sunlight. If you are making large amount of it, make sure use more than one pot while you are putting it into sunlight, this will help to get faster result.
- If you have less temperature, then it may take more days to dissolve the sugar into mango.
I hope, these minor details will help you to get perfect result. Please try this pickle and share your experience with me.
Sweet and Spicy Mango Pickle in 2 ways - Sweet Mango Pickle Recipe | Spicy Mango Pickle Recipe
- For Sweet Mango pickle
- 1 kg mango
- 1 and ⅕ kg sugar
- 1 tbsp cardamom peeled
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon pieces
- For spicy mango pickle
- 1 kg mango
- 750 gm sugar
- 2 cups red chili powder (as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds slightly crushed
- Sweet Mango pickle
- First peel the mango and grate them. You can also cut into small pieces like just 3-5 cm square pieces.
- take grated mango into hot pan, add 2-3 cups of water and let it boil. Stir continuosly while it is cooked. it may take 8-10 minutes.
- Then tranffer the boiled mango into striner and leave it till it release the access water
- In deep heavy bottom pan, take sugar, add just small amount of water to cover the sugar into pan at first.
- then start string till all sugar dilute, then let it boil for 15 minutes. Now do the string taste.
- For string taste, take 2-3 drops of syrup into plate, let it cool dwon, so that you can touch it. now take some into you thump,unsing first finger and tump try to make a string. IT must be two strings ad given in image.
- If you will not get result in 15 minutes, cook more. every 5 minutes do the string taste.
- once you get 2 strings, add boiled mango into syurp. Mango will release some water into syrup, yo need to resudce again. so continue cooking for another 15 minutes and then again do the string taste.
- Again you will get two string result then swich off the flame.
- Then add cardamom and cinnamon and mix them. Once it cools down completely, store it into glass jar. and store it at dry space.
- spicy mango pickle
- For spicy mango pickle, you need to peel the mango and grate them. Now transfer them into one large bowl and add salt and turmeric powder.
- Leave it for overnight. Then start squishing mango and remove access water. Do now over squish it. otherwise your pickle will become hard. you can keep that access water for next use.
- Now add sugar, mix it, cover with some white muslin cloth and make sure you tight it with bowl.
- Leave the bowl into sunlight for whole day. At night open cloth, and make sure sugar is dissolved fully, if it is not then again cover with cloth and leave it in sunlight in next day.
- IF you find there is now runny water, you can add that access water which we have stored during the squishing process.
- Once all sugar dissolves into mango add red chili powder and cumin seeds.
- The you can store it into air tight glass container
2) Do not store them into fridge.
3) You can have it with roti, parahta or thepla or naan. Even you can add them into chaat recipes.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!