Spicy Capsicum Tomato Fried Rice is quick and easy yet very tempting and delightful recipe. This tomato rice with capsicum is a bit enhanced version of one traditional “Tomato Rice” or “South Indian Tomato Rice”. Generally capsicum and tomato rice is made with tomato puree. But here I have used chopped tomato instead. The final recipe is extremely delectable and is actually a breeze to make.
If you have to make a one pot meal without me having to cook curry and bread or rice separately than this is big jackpot for your light dinner. This simple one pot meal with rice, tomatoes, capsicum and onion. In my kitchen, onion and tomato both are key INGREDIENTS, which I always have in stock. So using these basic ingredients, you can save your lazier time in kitchen. I always prefer cooked rice for this recipe, so that it can preserve little crunchiness of all sauté ingredients, make it more perfect and delicious one bowl meal for you. I can say this is a Biryani Style rice dish.
There is very common situation for most of us, that sometimes we open fridge, we have variety of leftover food items. So it’s difficult puzzle for us to turn them into delicious final product. So I always use this left over rice turns into onion tomato pulav either as lunch or dinner. Sometime at lunch time I intentionally cook more rice, so at dinner time I can enjoy this rice recipe as this is my favorite one.
It is great for packed lunch also. My mom made for me as lunch box recipe without capsicum in my school days and all my friends were appetite for this. And you know what, I never had allowed anyone to have a bite from my lunch-box. But always I had great time eating all others lunch-boxes. 😉
Spicy Capsicum Tomato Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp oil (I prefer sunflower oil)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 small green chili paste
- ½ cup capsicum finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tbsp clove powder
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp sugar (optional)
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- I am using here cooked rice, so before cooking rice soak them for 20 minutes
- In Pressure Cooker, add rice and 2 cups water. And let them cook until 3-4 whistles. That’s again depends on type of cooker. You can also make rice in microwave. For that method you need to have microwave pot, and let rice cook in microwave for 15 mintues with 1 cup water
- Just make sure that rice should not be overcooked. After cooking them, drain extra water from it
- Now in a pan, heat the oil
- Add cumin seeds, let them pop and after that add finely chopped onions into it
- Now sauté them for 2-3 minutes and add ginger and green chili paste and stir them with spatula
- After onion becomes soften, add finely chopped capsicum and tomato. And sauté them for 5 minutes
- Now time to seasoning, add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, sugar. You can avoid sugar if you don’t like sweet taste
- Mix them well let it cook for just 1-2 minutes. Now switch of gas and add lemon juice
- Garnish capsicum tomato rice with fresh grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves
- Serve this spicy capsicum tomato fried rice hot
2) You can also add more vegetables whatever you like.
A Quick tip: You can enhance the joy by having it with a straightforward Raita or Curd or Simply have it with potato chips. 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!