Potato Stuffed Dal Dhokli Recipe can be translated as Mashed potato dumplings steamed in Lentil Curry. There are verity of Indian curry recipes for mashed potatoes but this recipe is quite different. Here I have slightly modified dal dhokli recipe which is a traditional gujarati dish.
In India, Dal Dhokli is considered to be an extremely well-known and healthy gujarati dinner. So how about we make it more delightful by enhancing it with additional spicy and tangy stuffing to Dal Dhokli. To make stuffed dal dhokli we’ll make dumplings wrapped by hot wheat flour with tangy and zesty potato stuffing in it. At that point after we’ll heat up these mashed potato dumplings in Gujarati Dal(lentil curry). I ordinarily make round dumplings however you can simply change the shape as you like. Indeed, even I have made least difficult potato stuffing for potato dumplings yet you can add different ingredients to your stuffing like boiled green peas.
You can likewise change Gujarati Dal Recipe according to the preference and taste of your choice. I have used toovar dal(split pigeon peas) as a primary ingredient to my lentil curry but if you like then you can add a small proportion of split green gram in it. In a gujarati food, taste of lentil curry is sweet and tangy yet you likewise change that as per your taste. What’s more, even you can alter the thickness of lentil curry however it should not be thick enough to stick with the layer of your potato dumplings.
This can be classified as one-dish lunch or dinner recipe, but you could also serve it with rice to make it more Delicious. It tastes awesome when served hot along with plain steamed rise, onion slices and curd.
Potato Stuffed Dal Dhokli Recipe| Mashed potato dumplings with Lentil Curry
- 1 cup wheat flour
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- wheat flour for rolling
- 3 potato boiled and mashed
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- ½ tbsp Gamram masala
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp sugar(optional)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup toovar dal (split pigeon peas) boiled and grind
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- ⅓ cup peanuts boiled
- salt to taste
- 1 small tomato finally chopped
- 1 small green chili finally chopped
- 1 inch of ginger grated
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp chopped jaggery
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- /4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 round dry red chilies
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 big bay Leaf
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Sieve flour with salt and knead into a semi-stiff dough using water. Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling for dumplings. Take mashed potato in one bowel, add salt to taste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, chopped coriander, Gamram masala, lemon juice and sugar(optional).
- Mix all spices well into potato. Make medium sized balls from the potato mixture.
- Make about 10-15 equal small sized balls from the dough.
- Roll out into 3-4 inches diameter roti base with a rolling pin, place the potato ball in center of roti.
- Bring together all the edges in the center and join them. cover whole potato roll with roti, remove the excessed dough if necessary. Try to avoid more thickness of roti.
- Similarly, prepare 10-15 dumpling and cover with plate.
- Clean, wash and drain the lentils. Combine the lentil and 2 cups of hot water, ¼ tbsp turmeric powder,in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles. you can microwave it for 20 minutes.
- Combine the cooked dal and 1 cup of hot water in a deep non-stick pan and blend it well using a hand blender till smooth. Add more 2½ cups of hot water and mix very well.
- Place it on the flame and add turmeric powder, peanuts boiled, salt to taste, tomato, green chilli, ginger, lemon juice, jaggery.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Now add prepared dumplings genitally into dal, and cook them for another 15 minutes, once dumplings are starting to come at top of dal, it is almost cooked.
- Meanwhile, for the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, allow them to crackle.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, red chillies, cinnamon, cloves , bay Leaf and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the dal, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- After adding tempering cook for 5 minutes and now it is ready to serve.
You can serve with boiled plain rice and curd.
It go best with onion salad.
Don’t you like this recipe.. If YES then give your comments fast…..!!!!!
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!