Mint Lemon Rice Recipe is the famous south Indian Dish that is easy, tasty, and healthy as promising. This easy lemon Rice is super punchy in term of tanginess of lemon and fresh with some mint leaves. It is perfect side dish with south Indian dal or rasam or itself is the perfect meal as lunch or dinner. Mostly it is served with spicy fish or vegetable curry.
Whenever I try south Indian dishes for the first time, it amazed me by its taste and simplicity. Simplicity indicates the purity of each ingredient in one dish. When you are cooking with minimal ingredients, you have to enhance the taste of each and every elements of the recipe.
Form South Indian recipes, I get that touch of intelligibility. They have minimal spice in their cooking and still delicious, finger licking food and more importantly it is healthy.
The Rice is integral part if South Indian recipes. You will get at least 70% part of meal is rice. So, this lemon rice recipe is one of them. Sometime plain rice is not enough. So why don’t you have some basic tadka with lemon punch? This lemon rice recipe with step by step photoes will help you to prepare near perfection.
I have tried CURD RICE before. It turned out so well and that inspired me to try more south Indian rice recipes. They are using Dal or lentil as spices in their cooking which makes their cooking different and healthy.
I cooked it with some fresh mint leaves which helps to have balance that lemon kick and add some freshness to the recipe.
So, what are waiting for to have this delicious, mild and healthy mint lemon rice to give try.
How to cook mint lemon rice recipe?
Start by cooking rice first. Boil the water then add rice and simmer till rice cook perfectly. You can use leftover rice also.
Then in pan, heat the oil. and saute some nuts first.
Then add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add lentils and curry leaves. saute lentil till it become light brown. Do not overcook it.
Then add turmeric powder and green chili. chili is optional. if this rice recipe is for kids then you can skip it.
Finally add cooked rice and let it simmer for 2 minutes. at last add lemon juice and salt.
Switch of the flame and add mint leaves and fried nuts which help to balance the tangy lemon flavour.
Your super easy and delicous lemon rice ready to dig in…
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Mint Lemon Rice Recipe
- You can use long grain rice to get better result
- Toast the dry nuts before adding into recipe
- Do not overcook the dal into oil. cook on low flame to roast lentils perfectly.
- Adjust the green chili according your taste. If you like more spicy then add more chili
Mint Lemon Rice Recipe | How To Make Easy South Indian Lemon Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp mustrad seeds
- 1 tsp chickpea spits (chana dal)
- 1 tsp gram splits lentil (arhar dal)
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (if you like add more)
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- Take one sauce pan, add 2 glass of water and boil it. Once it is heated boil the basmati or ling grain rice. Cook it perfectly. When it is cooked, strain using strainer and leave it to cool down.
- In saute pan, heat oil, roast some nuts like cashews, almonds or peanuts. Keep them asides. Now add mustard seeds, and lentils into it. Roast till golden brown. Add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Then add cooked rice and adjust the salt as per your taste. At last add mint leaves and cook for 2 minutes at low flame.
- your lemon rice is ready to serve.
2) Good lunchbox recipe for kids also, you can adjust amount of chili for kids.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!