Mashed Potato Cutlet – another mashed potato recipe with Indian touch. So, how to make potato cutlets with restaurant style look and what is special about my mashed potato cutlet recipe? Its simple..!! It has some garlic tempering, crunch and sweetness of raisin, tanginess of pomegranate with crispy layer of poppy seeds.
So friends, ready to meet my golden brown-spotted with poppy seeds mashed potatoes cutlet served with some fresh salad and everyone’s favourite tomato ketchup? You can also find more mashed potatoes recipes like,
- Spicy Mashed Potatoes Donuts
- Mashed Potato Dumpling in Lentil Curry (Potato Stuffed Dal Dhokali)
- Mashed Potato Vegetable Sandwich
Why I am passionate about cooking, is not only because of my both moms (mom and mother-in-law) are very good cook, but I am giving half of the credit to my father, who also a great food lover and he is the best cooking teacher for me…
During my childhood, I used to cook with my father. And yeah, that’s also true that once I grown up, he almost left the cooking, I still don’t know why. But those days, when me and my father used to cook together, my mom’s entry was prohibited in kitchen. 🙂
I was his assistant in cooking. He often used to make some fried recipes like patties, fritters and puri most of time. His custard milk with fruit salad recipe is speechless. I am still trying to recreate it.
But this mashed potato cutlets is my trial from collection of his recipes. You know what was the best part of making this recipe. This time, I was cooking and my father was assisting me.. I cannot explain that experience when he gave me instructions and I sincerely followed it.
This is a masterpiece from him. The raisins give it sweetness and crunch and those pomegranate seeds make it little juicy and tangy taste.
The tempering of ginger – garlic – chilli gives it perfect balance of all spices, and turmeric gives it super golden colour.
Here, I give a some cylindrical shape like cigar. To make it more attractive. But the unique about these cutlet is outer layer of poppy seeds. When you fry them, the colour contrast will make it so attractive. And this is my favourite part of this recipe.
After frying it, that dark brown crispy layer and contrast of poppy seeds is just looks gorgeous. And inside it is still little smooth and yellow color… OMG!!! What else can I say!
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Mashed Potato Cutlet
- Leftover mashed potatoes give more better result than freshly boiled.
- Adding cashew (not whole) chunks also gives a nice crunch. But do not substitute raisin. Raisins and pomegranate are heart of this recipe
- If you don’t have poppy seeds. You can avoid it.
Mashed Potato Cutlets
- 2 cup boiled and mashed potatoes (around 250 gm potatoes required)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp green chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 cup corn flour (If required use more)
- Poppy seeds for cover it.
- Take boiled potato, raisins, pomegranate seeds and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix them well.
- To add tempering, take skillet and heat the oil into it. Then add mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add garlic, ginger and chilli and turmeric powder. Stir then for just 30 seconds. And let them cool.
- Now mix tempering into mashed potato mixture. Then add corn flour and mix it well so that you can make shape form it. If required more corn flour than use more to give a good texture.
- Finally add some fresh coriander and make shape like cigar . then rolled out all cigar shape patties into poppy seeds. It looks so attractive when you fry them
- At last heat the oil for frying, and fry all cutlets at medium heat till it gets dark brown color.
- Serve with some salad and sauce.
2) Even tangy mayonnaise is also good dip with this recipe
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!