Healthy Vegetable Masala Khichdi is one-pot rice dish which is prepared with rice and different king of lentils. It is also known as Vegetable Moong dal Khichdi. In Gujarati language it is known as Vaghareli Khichdi Recipe. Vegetable Masala Khichdi is a very popular dish cooked in every Indian home with its own traditional recipes and taste. This is best vegetarian dish no one can reject it. Some likes it with yogurt, pickle, papad or Indian kadhi.
This is all-time favorite comfort food and also very healthy recipe. The base of this recipe is lentils + rice. Typical khichdi recipe is made from rice and moong dal (Moong lentils) with just salt and pinch of turmeric Powder. But you can have any combination with different veggies and yeah also mixture of different kind of lentils. You can do seasoning as per your taste.
My vegetable masala khichdi is spicy variation of simple, traditional simple Khichdi. I have also enhanced it with more tangy taste by adding some tomato puree to it. I have added some sautéd vegetables into khichdi which gives little crunchy taste. So this is a complete healthy meal with all taste you like. 🙂
For health perspective, this is rich of (vegetables) minerals, vitamins, protein (lentils), fiber (rice) and all other spices those are very helpful for digestion. For babies, at age of 8 months to 1 year, simple version of pain khichdi (without spices) is the best food. It helps them to grow up and also very digestive. If you have constipation problem, then take 1 bowl plain khichdi at lunch and dinner, it is very useful for you.
Sometimes you need to travel frequently and during the travel you try variety of food. Now you need some relaxing food that make you to continue with your routine. This khichdi recipe make you to do that. After having some heavy lunch, this is probably the best light dinner. I can say this food never will make you weak or sick. Additionally, it also helps to reduce the weight and you don’t need to follow the typical diet that only includes just raw vegetables and only fruits.
How to make Masala khichdi?
Healthy Vegetable Masala Khichdi Recipe | How to make Vegetable Masala Khichdi
- 1 cup moong lentils (yellow lentials) soaked for half an hour
- 2 cups sort grain rice soaked for half an hour
- 2 tbsp ghree (unsalted butter)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 small sized onions finely chopped
- half green bell pepper finely chopped
- half cup green pea par boiled
- 1 big size potato cut into dice
- ½ cup tomato puree
- fresh coriander finely chopped for garnishing
- If you have pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp ghee into it.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle, and add asafoetida, curry leaves. Immediately add soaked lentil and rice into tempering.
- We have taken 1+2 cups lentil + rice mixture. So total 3 cups quantity. So you need to add 3 times more water than lentil + rice mixture that means we have to add 9 cups water into pressure cooker to let it simmer. Please be precise while adding water, so you will get good consistency of Khichdi.
- We are not gonna add vegetables into it. But only diced potatoes you have to add at this stage.
- Finally add seasoning. Add turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Give a good stir to it, cover the cooker with tight-fitting lid and cook it until 3 whistles sounds and immediately switch off the stove. Let them cook and wait till the pressure form cooker is gone before opening the lid.
- Take one large pan, and 1 tbsp ghee again. Heat the ghree and add just 1 garlic clove minced. Sauté for 30 seconds, now add onions and bell peppers into it. Give it good stir.
- After cooking it 1 minute add green pea and tomato puree into it. Also add 1 tbsp red chili powder (as per your taste) and garam masala (optional). Add just ⅓ cup water and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now transfer that Khichdi form pressure cooker. Turn off gas. Give a good stir after switching off the flame of gas and garnish with fresh coriander.
- If you don’t have pressure cooker, take one microwave safe large pot, or you can use 9-by-13-inches baking dish. Add ghee and cumin seeds both together into your pot.
- Put it into microwave for 30 seconds. Add pinch of asafoetida and add 1 cup lentils 2 cups rice and you need to add double the water. So total 6 cups water. You need to add diced potato in this stage
- Here you have to add all spices: turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Now cover with lid and cook it for 20 minutes into microwave. Every 5 minutes take out the pot and check whether more water is required or not.
- Cook for more minutes if Khichdi is not cooked perfectly. The next steps are same as pressure cooker method form step – 7.
2) This also goes best with Indian traditional Gujarati kadhi.
Avoid Mistakes on first attempt of making Vegetable Masala Khichdi
- For making vegetable masala khichdi, water quantity is very important. Always use 3 times more water according to your rice + lentils quantity (without veggies).
- If you are using pressure cooker, types of pressure-cooker are also matters. If you use non-stick cookware than you need to cook for 2-3 whistles
- But if you use still base cooker or any other types, than more than 4 whistles required for cooking khichdi perfectly.
I hope you all will take advantages of this very delicious, complete one-pot rice recipe. I have served it with Indian kadhi and some papad (thin, crisp disc-shaped food typically based on a seasoned dough usually made from peeled black gram flour). You can only have it without any side dish. It’s as delicious as plain one. But in some Indian restaurants, it is served with curd or pickle sometimes.
So what are you waiting for???? Quickly give it a try and don’t forget to share your experience. 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!