Gujarati Thepla Recipe is the elevated form plain paratha recipe. You can say Masala Paratha is some basic plain paratha with basic Indian spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
This is the world famous Gujarati breakfast ‘Thepla Recipe’. My week never ends without this masala paratha. I cook more than once a week.
If you are TEA lover then this is the best combo for your breakfast with tea. You can have it with some pickles like mango pickle or sweet and spicy mango pickle. If you don’t want some hot beverages at morning (as my husband used to) then any yogurt dip goes perfect with thepla. There are plenty ways to use it as breakfast.
This is the easiest way to cook paratha. we all know that breakfast is very golden meal of the day. You can get half of nutrition required for day by breakfast only. So, my Grandfather always say that ‘breakfast is the gold, lunch is silver and dinner is just near to garbage.’
Most important part of this paratha is, you don’t need any stuffing at all. Sometimes making stuffing takes more effort as our mornings are busiest one, we sometimes need some preparation,but masala paratha solve this problem. With minimum effort you can have best healthy and heavy breakfast.
Indian flat breads especially parathas are very popular in any regions of India. As an Indian, I know there are lots of different curries available in different part of India. But flat breads and rice, more specifically, paratha binds all regions together.
There are more paratha recipes are available from my kitchen.
If you have toddler at home, add this to your weekly menus. My toddler loves this paratha with her favourite turmeric milk or sometime with curd. She daily asks for thepla recipe. You can have some dry potato curry with this paratha.
For children’s lunchbox, you can put 1 cheese slice on paratha and roll it. You kids defiantly love it with cheese. In Guajarati family, thepla recipe is like pasta recipe for any Italian family. We, Gujarati cannot live without thepla recipe.
You can use this thepla recipe for travel also. We used to have it as snack while we are travelling to our native place. I used to carry some dry snacks or thepla or dry fruits while travelling or for picnic also.
How to make Gujarati Thepla Recipe
Let’s start with dough. Basic ingredients are whole wheat flour and some basic spices
Add oil and spices into flour and knead a little hard dough. give a rest for 10 minutes.
The make a small balls from it. you can make 4-6 balls from this amount of mixture.
Then roll out paratha and cook on both sides by spreading oil.
Your thepla is ready to serve. You can enjoy it either hot or cold.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Gujarati Thepla Recipe
- You can add some cumin seeds or cumin powder.
- Adjust the red chili powder as per you preferred spiciness.
- You can add some leafy vegetables like spinach, coriander or fenugreek leaves with paratha.
- Even garlic paste also give good taste in masala paratha.
Gujarati Thepla Recipe | Masala Paratha
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- water as need to knead the dough
- Take flour into mixing bowl and add 1 tbsp oil, carom seeds and all masala powder with salt.
- Knead the smooth dough and give rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Make small round ball form the dough. You can make 4-6 balls from this amount of flour.
- Take one flatten roll and dust it with some flour. Roll out round with rolling pin with double thickness than roti. use more flour for dusting if necessary.
- For cooking them, heat the tawa or griddle on gas, and place paratha into hot tawa. once it's half cooked, flip it on other side, apply some oil into cooked side, and flip it again. Apply oil on other side, and cook both the side until some brown or black marks appears.
2) masala paratha is best with potato curry as kid's lunchbox.
3) You can serve it with any dry curry recipe.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!