Kadhi recipes are way more popular in western side of India. Punjabi kadhi, Gujarati kadhi recipe are most traditional one. Basically kadhi recipes are made from yogurt and gram flour mixture spiced by common Indian spices.
Let’s start with Basics:
- Mainly Kadhi recipe contains yogurt and chickpea flour or gram flour.
- The thickness of kadhi is depends on the amount of flour
- The sourness of kadhi recipe is based on the curd or yogurt that you are using for it.
- Tadka or tempering is belongs to which part of Indian the kadhi recipe belongs.
- Most relevant sides of kadhi are some rice or khichdi
The base is curd and gram flour, Gujarati kadhi recipe has small amount of gram flour used compare to others. Gujarati kadhi is like watery or more liquidly texture rather than others. And most important is yogurt must be sour. We always use sour curd to make it more sweet and sour.
How to make curd or yogurt sourer? If you are using package of thick yogurt or Greek yogurt, you can add some lime juice into kadhi to make it more tangy. But you are using homemade curd then put curd outside the fridge, at some warm place for 2-3 hour, it will become sour and you will have sour taste in your kadhi recipe.
these kadhi recipe is without onion and garlic which is the mejout difference between pujabi kadhi and Gujarati kdahi.
You know one secret??? When Barack Obama visited India, Gujarat, This Gujarati kadhi was served with some traditional khichdi, and liked it also.
when I get flue, especially in winter, I daily make this kadhi and have hot bowl of it without any side. this really helps to reduce flue and make you warm during winter as it has basic ayurvedic elements like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, curry leaves which helps to get rid of cough and cold.
You can fine more winter soup recipes like Red Lentil soup in here.
How to cook Gujarati Kadhi Recipe:
Take all basic ingredients:
Then make mixture of curd and besan(gram flour) using blender.
Time add all ginger chili and other more spice before cooking it.
Now heat the mixture at medium flame, and bring to the boil.
Now put it aside while you are doing tempering.
For tempering, Take (only) ghee or butter and add cumin and mustard seeds.
Most important is hing or asafoetida. pinch of it, but it makes difference.
Now add dry spices like curry leaves, dry chili, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves.
Then add that boiled mixture into tempering, and let it simmer on law to medium flame for atleast 5 minutes.
And Gujarati kadhi is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Gujarati Kadhi Recipe
- Mix curd and gram flour properly, otherwise lump will create during the cooking
- When you heat the curd and gram flour mixture, stir it continuously otherwise the flour will stick at bottom.
- Let it boil, for 2-3 times at least. It may take 5-10 minutes.
Gujarati Kadhi Recipe | How To Make Gujarati Kadhi With Curd
- 1 cup curd (curd must be savory or tangy)
- ½ cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1 tbsp green chili finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon or half tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 dry red chili
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp sugar or jaggary
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- Coriander for garnish
- take curd and gram flour into mixing bowl and min them well using blender
- Then add ginger and green chili into it, also add salt and turmeric powder into it.
- Put that mixture on gas and start stirring it. Now bring it to boil on medium heat. let it simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Take heavy bottom pan and start to make tadka or tempering for kadhi recipe.
- Heat the ghee into pan; add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida. now again add clove, cinnamon, curry leaves, dry red chilies and bay leaves, give a stir and immediately add boiled kadhi mixture.
- Finally add sugar or jaggery and coriander powder. let it simmer on high heat for 5 more minutes. kadhi is ready to serve
2) It goes perfect with khichdi or rice.
3) If you have flue, this is the best soup recipe which cure the flue fast. Add more ginger in that case.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!