Green beans curry is dry Green Beans and Potato Curry with delicious Indian basic spices. You can have it this dry beans curry with some roti or paratha for lunch or dinner.
Green vegetables are staple food to cook with potato. It will enhance the taste of any plain potato curry. Rather than just plain potato curry, you can have it with some green or leafy vegetables. Best way to cook vegetables.
In my culture, lunch or dinner is incomplete without curry. You can have just chapati with curry or roti with curry. Sometimes rice and potato curry is good combo for dinner. I grew up with eating curry during all the way. I can cook more than 30 curry recipes with different combination of all the vegetables.
Last week was really life changing for me as well as my family. I got sick due to some infection and had to leave my favorite morning with TEA. Yeah! I am tea lover, and I have to stop drinking tea. I started coffee or milk with breakfast and surprisingly I am not missing my tea at all. I can survive without tea more than week which makes me more confident about I can eat anything at breakfast.
In my family, my husband also suffers some chest pain and stomach ache. He got really good doctor, but she give him some special diet chart which includes only curry and chapati. No exercise, no running, just limited food at specific time. And he has to drink a tea though he never has tea at breakfast.
So, I can say, tea is transferred from me to my husband. So, I am planning to have more curry recipes to give him good daily routine.
I thought I can have 30 days curry challenge which will include different vegetable curry with some common spice available in everyday Indian kitchen. This will not include any Punjabi curry recipes.
You can find more curry recipes like
Here is my first dry green beans and potato curry recipe which is his favourite one.
How to make green beans curry:
Start by cutting the vegetables. make sure you cut potato wedges very thin so that it can cook fast with the beans.
Then heat the oil into pan and add cumin seeds.
After cumin will crackle, add ginger and garlic paste. Ginger paste gives very nice taste in this curry.
After adding vegetables, add salt and turmeric powder at this stage. Then add water as required. I have added 1 cup water first and then half cup more.
Once, both beans and potato are cooked perfectly, add remaining spices like red chilli powder, coriander powder and pinch of garam masala.
Mix them well, add 2-3 tablespoon water and cover with lid and cook for jusr 2 minutes more.
Your curry is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Green Beans Curry
- Add 1 cup water at first while cooking beans and potato. If required add more after 5 minutes cooking time.
- You can add all spices with water. But I prefer to add some spices at last to get crunchy flavor.
- Make sure, you cut potato ad thin ad possible, otherwise it takes more time to cook than beans. And sometimes beans are overcooked.
Green Beans Curry | Indian Green Beans And Potato Curry
- 200 gm green beans cut into 1 inch size
- 2 large potatoes cut into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tap chili powder
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- pinch of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Take around 200 gm green beans and cut into 1 inch sized pieces. Cut potatoes in wedges shape but very thin.
- For cooking, heat oil into nonstick pan, add oil. Once oil is heated, add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Then add garlic and ginger paste.
- Let it cook for just 30 seconds. Add green beans and potato. At this stage add salt and turmeric powder and salt as per your taste.
- Now add 1 cup water and cover with lid. Simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat. and check if required more water then add half cup more water to cook beans and potatoes.
- Make sure potatoes and beans are cooked perfectly. Press them by hand, it they looks mushy then it cooked perfectly. Water must be absorbed by vegetables by end of cooking. It must look dry.
- Once vegetables are cooked, add red chili powder, coriander powder, little garam masala. Add 2-3 tbsp water and mix it well. again cover with lid and cook for just 1 minute
- You can add lemon juice at last. Switch of the flame and serve with roti or paratha.
2) It is best for lunchbox for kids
3) It is perfect dry curry with Chapati or paratha as lunch.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!
April 13, 2020 at 11:14 pm
I make this recipe in my home as your steps you write in this article and this is so easy to make this recipe. It is amazing to make and very interesting.
Very useful and helpful for me to make recipes like that very easily in my home.
May 13, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Thank you Karunesh for lovely feedback!