Dal Vada Recipe is deep fried and a crispy tea time snack which is perfect pair with evening tea in rainy cozy weather. When you are craving for something spicy and crispy during monsoon season in India, Masala Vada is the most popular fritters recipe among all people.
This is crispy dal vada recipe is made from chickpea lentils or chana dal. Dal means Lentil. Vada means flattened shaped fried something. This is also known as lentil fritters.
This is also known as Masala Vada in south India. It is staple street food in south India. In west side of India, it is known as Chana Dal Vada Recipe.
Dal vada is
Easy to make,
which is most suitable for rainy season.
When I was in college, dal wada has special attachment among all my friends. There was one small food truck or trolley for more specific near our college. He cooks some snacks according to seasons. In winter, he cooked aloo paratha or mini lunch. In summer, he make some fresh fruit juice, but during monsoon, he cooked dal vada. And it was the place for our get together after college classes were finished. We were eating almost 1 kg dal vada among 4 of us with lots of gossips.
We all loved its taste. He didn’t add onions within the dal vada. But give some fresh onions as sides with dal vada. He was like our uncle; we also share some our food with him sometimes. He made some special arrangement for long meeting at his place. It was like our second home.
When I cooked this dal vada recipe, I took pictures form phone and shared with my old college friends and we all rewind those monsoon episodes of our college days.
There is one tradition in our house about monsoon. When we have first rain of the season, dinner must be fritters. Everyone loves fritter made from fenugreek leaves, but when it is not available in market, then my husband ask about dal wada.
If he is in office during first rain, he makes call and give me order, REENA, soak the lentils for dal vada! And every time, I reply “I already did that”.
This is my story about first rain of the season. You can share yours also.
You can find more fritter recipe for monsoon fun!!!
How to cook Dal Vada Recipe
This recipe is super easy to make. You just need to soak chana dal for 3-4 hours. Take chana dal, wash them and soak them for 3-4 hours. After soaking, drain the access water.
Now grind it to course paste. Do not grind smooth. then add green chillies. You can adjust the amount of chillies.
Then add ginger and garlic paste
You can add some chopped onions and adjust the salt.
For color I have added pinch of turmeric powder. You can avoid also. Then mix all together and make flatten patty like shown in image.
The deep fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or till golden crispy.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Spicy Masala Poha Recipe
- You can also make smooth paste while grinding the soaked lentils. but the course batter give crispy feeling
- Amount of chili is as per your taste
- You can avoid onion and garlic to make jain version.
Dal Vada Recipe | Masala Vada Recipe | Lentil Fritters
- 1 cup chickpea lentils (chana Dal)
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Take 1 cup chickpea lentil and soak it for at least 3-4 hours. then rinse it and strain with strainer. Discard the access water if any.
- Now grind it in mixture jar. Make course paste. Do not over churn or make a smooth paste.
- Then add finely chopped green chili, ginger paste, garlic paste, onions. mix then into batter.
- Adjust salt as per your taste. Add pinch of turmeric powder to give color. this is optional.
- Form better, take small amount mixture, make roll and flatten it.
- In pan, heat the oil, and deep fry for 5 minutes at medium flame.
- Serve with chutney or tea. Add some fried green chili and onions on sides.
2) You can have it with tomato catch up or tamarind chutney.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!