Dal Palak or Spinach Dal recipe is Indian lentil based dish which is way too healthy, delicious and it brings out the richness of lentil with goodness of spinach with garlic. How to make spinach dal or curry is given here with step by step photos.
We all know, lentils are essential part of Indian cooking, either it’s for vegetarians or non-vegetarians. I remember; I cannot stay away from dal recipes more than a week. I resist only a week to stay away from dal recipes.
when I was planning to come back after my almost 2 years of break, I left my little girl with her grandparent so at least, I have kick start with my blog, and then I could continue with her at home. (It was tuff for me to stay away from her, for more than 2 weeks!!! L )
Duirng those days, I cooked 2-3 recipes per day, photographed. So I didn’t have chance to cook dal or dal rice. So I took break one day from recipe making, cooked my favorite dal-chawal for lunch and I satisfied.
As food blogger, sometimes you cook plenty of food, that you cannot eat alone, luckily, I have good neighbors who always give a company for that.
Now this is time for winter, so all greens veggies are waiting for me. I love spinach, but my husband doesn’t. So I use dal palak recipe to convey him to eat spinach some time with Plain Paratha sometime with rice.
Spianch dal is added to my every week menu for winter season, even my little girl like to eat spinach recipes. She loves to eat local veggies and seasonal veggies, Ohh, I am so lucky that my kid like veggies.
How to make spinach dal :
First you need to boil the lentils according to give instruction below for palak sal recipe. Please check out the avoid the mistakes sections
For cooking, heat the oil into pan.
Then add the chopped garlic.
Add some finely chopped tomato.
Time for adding freshly cut and washed spinach leaves.
Add salt for spinach to cook fast.
let it cook perfectly, then add boiled moong lentils.
Now add all the spices.
At last add some water to get consistency, I have added half cup of water, I like curry type, not the soup like more watery.
And your spinach dal is ready to serve.
For second tempering (totally optional), take chutney and oil into small pan, mix it properly.
Then heat for 30 seconds only without burning it.
It is ready to pour on dal, while you are gonna serve it.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Dal Palak Recipe
- You need to careful with boiling the dal. No need to sock it.
- If you are using pressure cooker, take 1 cup dal with 3 cups of water, and cook until 2 whistle on medium flame.
- For microwave usage, then take 2 cup dal with 2-3 cups of water and micro for 15 minutes.
- If you are simply boiling it, then take 3-4 cups water in pot, let it boil, add dal, and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame.
- The amount of spinach you are going to use, that’s depends on you taste. some like more spinach as I do, use good amount of it. But as you do not like taste of spinach well then add less spinach into this curry.
Dal Palak Recipe | How To Make Spinach Dal Recipe
- 1 cup yellow lentil (moong dal)
- bunch of spinach finely cut and wahed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes (half tomato)
- ½ tsp turmaric powder
- 1 tsp red chili power
- 1 and ½ tsp coriander powder
- pinch of garam masala powder or curry powder
- water to get required constitancy
- Second tempering
- ⅔ tbsp oil
- littte garlic chutney or just 2 garlic cloves minced + ½ tsp chili powder
- Take 1 cup yellow lentil or moong dal. Wash them well. Now add them into pressure cooker and cook for just two whistles.
- If you do not have pressure cooker, then take lentil in microwave proof bowl, add 2 cups of water and cook it in microwave for 10-15 minutes. or you can boil the lentil for 15-20 minutes. No need to sock it.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, and add oil. Once oil is hot, add chopped garlic. After 30 seconds, add tomatoes.
- Let tomato to be cooked perfectly, and then add washed and chopped spinach. I like more quantity of it, so I have added more; you can adjust according to your taste.
- Add salt for spinach, this will help to cook fast. Cover the pot with lid, and cook for 5 minutes, till spinach get perfectly cooked.
- Then add boiled dal or lentils, and do the seasoning. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder and garam masala. Add water to get desire constituency. I have added half cup if water.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 5 more minutes. At last adjust the salt.
- For second tempering, which is totally optional, take garlic chutney (If you do have garlic chutney; take 2 cloves of garlic minced and little bit red chili powder) and 1 tbsp oil, mic it well first. Then put them on gas for just 30 seconds on high to medium heat. and pour that tempering while serving the curry.
2) It goes well with some khichdi with curd.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!