Curry Powder Recipe is blended with basic spices like coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek seeds and many more. This curry powder is integral part of my kitchen. This is the first curry powder recipe which I learned from mother as first step of cooking.
This easy homemade curry powder recipe is super versatile which can be used in any curry or dal or dry recipe or even in basic masala paratha recipe.
You can find so many different types of curry powder recipes from different parts of India. North Indian cooking requires more robust and aromatic curry powder some time called garam masala. In South Indian region, some mild spices especially curry leaves and fenugreek seeds are more common in curry powder.
In west India, garlic based curry powder is mostly used. While in east side pepper corn is more widely used. Sometimes, I found cooking is most challenging and very hard to achieve proper taste, but every time I successes and want to try harder recipes.
What is Curry Powder?
It is blended dry roasted spice mix with proper measurement. You won’t find SINGLE perfect recipe for curry powder.
But I can conclude some basic common ingredients here:
- pepper corns
You can add many more spices with different weight as per your taste or knowledge. I found my knowledge form my mother. And I am using this powder in my day-to-day curries, dals, one pot meal, pilaf and many more dry curries.
Nobody answer the question about which curry powder is best. garam masala is one kind of curry powder. there are more verities like biryani masala or chole masala or pav bhaji masala.
I have added more spices like
- fenugreek seeds
- poppy seeds
- red chili
- little split mustard seeds (optional)
I avoided turmeric as I always use different amount of turmeric powder in different types of curries and dals.
How to make curry powder recipe:
Start measuring all ingredients:
Then dry roast all ingredients one by one:
Then let it cool down completely. Finally grind it, and store it air tight container.
Avoid mistakes to make Curry Powder Recipe
- Use proper measurement to get perfect result.
- Please avoid last ingredient split mustard seeds if you do not have it. Never replace it with whole mustard seeds
Curry Powder Recipe | Homemade Indian Curry Powder Spice Mix
- 1 cup coriander seeds
- ½ cup cumin
- 8-10 Dry red chilies
- 1 tbsp pepper corns (black pepper)
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp split mustard seeds (rai na kuriya) Do not replace with mustard seeds
- • Start heating pan, and at law flame, dry roast all basic ingredients.
- • First add coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
- • After dry roast them for 1 minute, add red chili and pepper corn. Dry roast them for another half minute and add remaining ingredients.
- • Cool down them completely, and grind them to fine powder.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!