Besan Puri Recipe is basically a Crispy gram flour Indian Bread. There are lots of varieties in snacks especially made from gram flour. Gram Flour is a KING of making snacks because we can preserve it for long time.
Besan poori is basically festival dish. Only small amount of ingredients and we get delicious crispy flat Indian bread which is made from gram flour or you can say chickpea flour. In India we have a festival named “Janmastami” during August month during the monsoon. Luckily, we always try to manage a week holiday during this festival, going out and enjoying the monsoon sometimes first rain of the season. 🙂 And yeah there is very famous Lion Sanctuary “Sasan-Gir” is very near to our town. Due to rainy season, we have many beautiful locations around it. So that is the best time for us to enjoy nature by outing and having picnic. We always do picnic where we find series of small rapids, with plush greenery around Gir forest, its perfect getaway for nature lovers (as we are!). We enjoy nice trip with family, we carry so much food with us. So snacks are our best choice because kids like most.
For this occasion, we always make this recipe. My in-laws call this as “Vanva”. This is very easy to make and also crispiness of this besan puri make it more delicious.
If you consider it as health point of you, then I must say, it is fried recipe, a bit oily!!! But as it is made from Gram flour, it consumes very less oil while you fry them. And very less fat content compare to Wheat flour. Carom seeds (ajvain) help to digest it well. So eventually your health will not affect much by this recipe.
Most important part is that you can store it for at least 1 month. Whenever feel hungry, open container and grab it…!!!
Besan Puri Recipe| Crispy gram flour Indian Bread Recipe
- 1 cup gram flour, besan [around 200 gm]
- ½ tbsp black pepper powder
- ½ tbsp carom seeds (ajvain)
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- salt as per test
- ¼ cup water
- oil to fry(we generally use groundnut oil)
- In a bowl, add Gram flour, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, carom seeds and salt.
- Mix all well and start adding water kneading to smooth dough. You need to kneading more that gives best result of crispiness about the bread.
- Take a very small sized ball from the dough.
- meanwhile in frying pan, heat the oil to fry the puri
- Take it on the rolling board and begin to roll it with a rolling pin. As gram flour is glutton free, its hard to handle while rolling it. Some time you don’t get proper round shape of bread. So while rolling, dust some flour if required.
- Make small size puri. And make it thinner to get crispiness. If you cannot roll it with proper round shape than you can use round mould or any small bowl to give it perfect round shape.
- Fry all puri one by one in medium hot oil.
2) You can server this crispy and crunchy puri as evening or morning snack with tea.
3) You can use them with chaat also.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!