This baingan bharta recipe – Smoky Eggplant Curry is one of the signature dishes of Traditional Indian cooking. It is vegan, law fat and super delicious and has extra-ordinary smoky flavor which make you crazy in kitchen while even cooking it.
This smoky eggplant stir fry is the favorite way to eat eggplant or brinjal or aubergine whichever you call it in your part of world because it have super magical taste and aroma when you roast the eggplant into open fire.
The best BBQ recipe for vegetarians, when you cook eggplant in open fire and mix some basic veggies like tomatoes, onion and green peas. You can find another Italian recipe Smoky Eggplant Bruschetta here.
Every home has moms and grandmoms, they all have their own recipes and techniques to cook baingan bharta recipe. I have also heritage of this recipe from my mother and mother-in-law.
I tried so many different techniques and recipes to modernize the taste and look, but failed to recreate that magical taste and aroma form oldies. you know sometimes OLD is GOLD. So make it simple to preserve its authenticity.
Now let me share my authentic version of baingan bharta and allow creating super delicious taste at home. You need to follow some basic steps behind the recipe and you will get super result for it.
How to choose right eggplant?
The seedless baingan or with less seeds eggplant is the best for this recipe. But how to find eggplant with less seeds that is the biggest concern. If black eggplant is available in your market, then follow 3 steps below:
- Skin of black eggplant is too shiny which indicate it is fresh.
- It feels slightly firm means if you press your finger against skin, it should give little bounce back.
- Make sure that its stem id green. if it is brown or dried out, that eggplant is not fresh.
If you find green color eggplant like I have used in my recipe, then it will be easy to find best one. Green brinjal have less seeds compare to black one. But green one was too old then it may contain more seeds. Follow the same steps above to get right one.
How to prepare Baingan Bharta Recipe:
Basic ingredients are eggplant, onion and tomato and of course garlic.
Use good quality of eggplant, wash it and pet well. then make slits using knife and add garlic clove in it.
then grease with oil.
Then roast it on open fire till it is burnt from outside.
Now add it into cool water. let it cool down.
And then peel it. Start cooking the Baingan Bharta with heating the oil.
Then add cumin seeds and garlic paste.
After saute for 30 seconds, add scallions and tomatoes one by one.
let it cook completely, now do the seasoning.
Finally add finely chopped roasted eggplant and mix it well. cook for another 2 minutes.
baingan bharta is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making baingan bharta recipe
- Choose the eggplant with lees seeds from your market for this recipe. Please follow the steps above to find right eggplant.
- Proper roast eggplant, it may take some more time according to size of it.
- let the skin burn completely, so it will come out easily.
Baingan Bharta Recipe | How to make Authentic Baingan ka Bharta
- 250 gm eggplant whole large one (either black or green-white)
- 2 medium size tomatoes (1 cup finely chopped)
- 1 cup scallions (or regular red onion)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- half tsp cumin seeds
- 1 to ½ tbsp red chili powder
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- half tbsp coriander powder
- half tsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- You can only use large sized eggplant for this recipe. Black color eggplant is widely available at any regions. I have used green color eggplant which has less seeds.
- Wash the eggplant and pat dry. with the knife, make small slits into eggplant, and place 2-3 garlic cloves into it. then grease it with some oil.
- put eggplant into direct gas flame, cook it on open fire on medium heat, rotate it with spatula every 2-3 minutes. Make sure that it is cook from all the sides.
- The skin must be burned or blistered completely, and eggplant must be soft enough, you can verify by using knife. If knife passed though easily, it is cooked otherwise roast more 3-4 minutes.
- Then transfer the eggplant into cold water, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Remove the garlic clove from it and make paste of that roasted garlic with other remaining garlic ponds. Peal the skin off and chop it finely.
- To start cooking baingan bharta, take 3-4 tbsp oil into pan, and add just little bit cumin seeds. Then add garlic paste and little red chili powder.
- Cook it for 30 seconds and add chopped scallions, and again cook for 1-2 minutes. then add chopped tomatoes cook till tomatoes cooked perfectly.
- Now do the seasoning. Add all masalas like turmeric and red chili powder, cumin and coriander powder. adjust salt to taste and give a nice stir.
- Now add chopped or mashed roasted eggplant and mix it well. Cover with the lid and cook for 2 minutes. Your baingan bharta recipe is ready to serve. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
2) It taste best with bajra (Millet) Roti or millet flat bread and curd.
3) You can add green chili as per you taste.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!