Aloo Bhindi Recipe – Home style dry curry makes with staple spices and vagetables like potato and okra/lady finger/bhindi. Everyday lunch recipes collection is definably includes this aloo bhindi dry curry.
Different regions in India have their own version of aloo bhindi Recipe. Even every kitchen in Indian has different way to cook okra. Okra or lady finger is most versatile vegetable. And you can make it dry curry as well as some gravy with it.
This recipe does not have good texture and appealing look that will attract you at first site, But believe me, after you try it, you will surly add it into your weekly menu.
During this summer, I would love to eat this subji with pulkas and mango. Mangoes and okra are meant to eat together. You must try super easy lunch with just this dry okra masala and roti or chapatti and Mango or amras.
Some recipes look easy, common and very easy to make it. But still it has some uniqueness that you will defiantly find the difference while you will try this recipe. We all have different recipe for aloo bhindi, I am looking forward to try your recipes if will share them with me.
Let’s start with my recipe for aloo bhindi:
How to cook aloo bhindi Recipe:
Start with cutting the vegetables. Do not cut large pieces of potato.
Next is to start cooking the process. Heat the oil into pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
Then add potato first. and let them cook for 4-5 minutes.
Then add okra and mix it well. Cover with the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
Now add salt and turmeric powder at this stage. again cook for 4-5 minutes.
meanwhile in one bowl, mix the crushed garlic, all the spices described above and mix them well.
Then ad the mixture into pan and add some water to mix it with vegetables.
Finally, cover with lid again and cook for 5 more minutes.
Your curry is ready to serve.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Aloo bhindi Recipe
- Cook potato first beacase potato takes more time to cook than okra.
- First cook the vegetable and then add all the spices, this will prevents overcooking or burning of spices.
- adding water is totally optional.
Aloo Bhindi Recipe| Indian style Potato and Okra Stir Fry
- 250 gm okra or bhindi
- 1 cup diced cut potato
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp besan or chickpea flour
- pinch of garam masala
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp lime juice (optional)
- some water
- Take okra (bhindi) and wipe them with wet kitchen towel. Then cut as given into step by step photo.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Then add potatoes
- Cook potato for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Then add okra and cook another 5 minutes. Cover with lid while cooking them.
- Add salt and turmeric powder into it and again cook for 5 more minutes.
- In one bowl, take crushed garlic, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, besan (chippea flour) and sugar.
- Mix them well, add into aloo bhindi pan, add 2-4 tbsp water, mix them well. Cover with the lid, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Check for potato must be cooked perfectly, it should not hard. If it looks more hard, then cook till it will be soften.
- Switch off the flame and add lime juice. You aloo bhindi is ready to eat.
2) Bes got with plain roti or chapatti.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!