Hey friends, I am back with very easy and tasty Veg Lasagna Recipe which is my second attempt of an Italian cuisine. This Veggie Lasagna is another pasta dish – A tasty Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe. I tried this recipe once in famous vegetarian restaurant. And you won’t believe, I can still taste that delicious Veg Lasagna in my mouth. That recipe totally nailed me. Now a days, I am learning different cuisines apart from Indian. And I found Italian cuisine little bit difficult compare to others.
At first look, you find it somewhat messy but everyone loves this recipe as it taste heavenly perfect and full of flavor. I noticed a lot of versions of this recipe, but the main ingredients are cheese, sauce and filling. Again filling can be varied according to your taste. But in vegetarian filling base ingredients are zucchini, mushrooms and bell peppers. Sometime spinach is also a good combination along with cheese.
I did little research on that and got basic idea about how it can be made with ease. And finally, I conclude that there are 5 major steps required to make this tasty Veg Lasagna Recipe.
- Make Red (tomato) sauce
- Make White sauce (sometimes known as Béchamel sauce)
- Roast vegetables (filling)
As I discussed earlier, you can have variation in sauce as well as in vegetables. I have used red sauce and white sauce in this recipe. Red sauce is nothing but tomato sauce, same that we are using for different kind of pasta or even for pizza.
White sauce was totally new to me, honestly speaking, when I tried it first time it was failure. But from that mistake I learned how to make it perfectly. I have provided all steps for white sauce in recipe card but here is a quick suggestion. Don’t use more than 1 tbsp of flour, otherwise our sauce will become lumpy. And let the flour cook perfectly, until it starts to turn brown and aroma of roasted flour comes out. If sauce doesn’t cook perfectly, that it may have some weird smell.
For filling, I avoided mushrooms, as in my family nobody like it. But I used zucchini, all color bell pepper and white onions. You can also add corn, spinach as you like.
Layering is most interesting part of this recipe. Don’t forget to grease your tool, and never put lasagna sheets at very first (bottom of pan). Amount of sauce and vegetable can be varied as voluntarily. Get the cheese on top really crispy.
Baking is imperative step of veg lasagna. You need desired temperature and according to temperature cooking time. It can very as size of baking dish and also types of your oven. Be careful with this.
5 Steps to make Easy and Tasty Veg Lasagna Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup cheese
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp freshly crushed black pepper
- for read sauce:
- 6-7 tomatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ⅓ cup zucchini finely chopped
- ⅓ cup white onion finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- ⅓ cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- ⅓ cup yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- ⅓ cup spinach finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 3 – 4 basil leaves
- 8 – 10 lasagna sheets
- 1 to 1 ½ cup cheese
- Preheat oven to 275 F
- This recipe includes following 5 major steps
- In sauce pan melt butter and all purpose flour.
- Cook the flour for 2 – 3 minutes on slow flame, while stirring continuously.
- When mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. And gradually add milk just make sure lumps must be avoided. So stir continuously.
- Again cook it on medium flame for another 2 – 3 minutes till sauce get thicken, meanwhile stir continuously.
- Add salt and black pepper, mix it well and switch of the flame.
- At the end add cheese and let it mix and melt. I have used processed cheese. You can add any Italian cheese or you can even avoid cheese of you want.
- Blanch tomatoes and remove skin. Then roughly crush tomatoes into blander.
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Add garlic and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Now add tomatoes and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to medium-law, cover the pan with lid. Stir occasionally, cook it for 10 minutes.
- Finally add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, mix it well; cook it for 2 minutes
- Red sauce is ready to serve.
- In a sauté pan, add butter and garlic. Cook garlic until turn brown then add onions and stir it well.
- Cook just for 2 minutes and add all other vegetables: zucchini, red green & yellow bell peppers and spinach.
- Sauté all vegetables and cook till vegetables look soften.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano. Mix all seasoning well. Switch of flame, and finally mix basil leaves.
- Before layering, you need to prepare lasagna pasta sheets.
- Cook the lasagna sheets according to instruction written on package. Let them cool for later use.
- To assemble the lasagna, take 9-by-13-inches baking dish. Spray or grease it with cooking spray.
- Start with small amount of red sauce at bottom of your backing dish to keep lasagna sheets moist and prevent from sticking to dish.
- Take 2 – 3 sheets of your pasta and put them on red sauce. Remember, you can cut sheets fit into backing dish.
- Push or fold inside the ends of your sheets into the pan before baking, as any that extend over the edges may burn or dry out and become hard and brittle.
- Next step is to pour read sauce into first layer with pasta. Spread out over pasta sheets and after that add white sauce on that. I prefer to add same quantity of red and white sauce. But you can vary according to your taste.
- Add vegetables and spread out over the white sauce. Use ⅓ amount of your roasted vegetables.
- Last part is ass cheese. I have make combination of mozzarella and processed cheese. You can prefer according to your taste.
- Now again put layer of pasta and repeat the process for 2 times.
- At last add red sauce and lots of cheese at top. And your lasagna is ready to go into oven.
- Bake uncovered for 40 – 50 minutes. Let it give rest for 15 minutes before serving.
From this post onwards, I am starting new section in recipe post “Things to remember At First Attempt”. At first attempt, what kind of mistakes everybody makes, how to avoid it, and get good result even on your very first attempt. This section will also tell you story about my failures during my first attempt. So learning from others (here mine) mistakes will make you perfect…. 😉
Avoid Mistakes on first attempt of making Veg Lasagna
- While making white sauce, cook flour perfectly and then add milk. If your flour do not cooked well than your sauce may have some wired smell.
- While adding milk, switch off gas/induction coil for sometimes and stir continuously, so lumps would not be formed. And then after switch on gas for further process.
- You should not go too heavy on the vegetables; otherwise you can get a lot of weeping and/or unpleasant crunchiness.
- If you are using spinach, add it at last while other vegetables are cooked.
- Three are two kinds of lasagna sheets in market. If you use non-cooked, then cook them as per instruction given on package. And let them cool before using it for layering. If you are planning to use no-boil lasagna pasta, make sure to add some more sauce to ensure proper moistening.
- For layering at first add red sauce at bottom of pan, put pasta sheets on it. So that it will get enough moisture in order to perfectly cook Veg Lasagna.
- Push or fold inside the ends of sheets into the pan before baking, as any that extend over the edges may burn or dry out and become hard and brittle.
These are some consolidated points from my side which you should keep in mind, when you are attempting this veggie lasagna recipe for first time. If you have any experience with this recipe, I appreciate if you can share with me and other viewers.
Now try this Veg Lasagna recipe and give me your valuable feedback. Your comments will give me more inspiration to try such new recipes. 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!