I am eager to share whole wheat flour halwa recipe which also known as “Wheat Flour Sheera” or “Whole Wheat Pudding”. This is a simple and solid breakfast. It is an Indian traditional dessert referred as “Aatte ka halwa” in Hindi. It is basically festival dish, but it could be made occasionally or even on day-to-day when you want to have it. There is a famous Halwa-Poori dish, served with spicy poori made with wheat flour along with this.
Now a days there are so many snacks, biscuits, cookies available but during my childhood time, we don’t have too many options for ready-made breakfast. So in my school days, this was one of my favorite breakfast. As we all know mom’s cooking is the best, even not comparable against world’s best chefs. I used to ask my mom to make this pudding for me, once or twice a week. In fact, I learnt to make this pudding from her only.
In breakfast usually we are eating pancakes, cookies and biscuits. In many case, you may realize that; all of them contain wheat flour (maida). Whole wheat flour this is a great substitute for it. You can include dry many fruits of your choice like almonds, cashews or raisins with this pudding to make it more delicious and more nutritious.
Traditionally, this pudding is made with sugar (health’s greatest enemy), yet I have attempted this pudding with Jaggery (Gudd). Jaggery makes it more delicious and healthy too. Here I have not included any flavors to this pudding, just to get the best kind of the whole wheat flour halwa. You can likewise include some measure of rava or sooji to give good texture to this pudding.
Whole Wheat Flour Halwa Recipe | How to make Sheera with Wheat Flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (200gm)
- ½ cup ghee
- ½ cup jaggery
- 1.5 cup water
- 2-3 almonds (for garnishing)
- In sauce pan, add water and jaggery. Boil the water till jaggery gets melt at medium heat. In between you need to stir them well. After that using Strainer, strain jaggery solution, and again heat in same pan but very low flame of gas.
- Heat the ghee pan. I prefer non stick pan. Just let ghee to liquid form, if it is already in liquid form, no need to heat it, immediately follow next step
- Add wheat flour into ghee, continuously stirring till color changes to brown, and you get aroma of roasted flour.
- Once flour is starting to release ghee, switch of gas of jaggery solution.
- Carefully add that jaggery solution slowly into whole wheat flour by continuously stir with all your hand force so that no lumps are formed.
- Keep stirring till this pudding absorb water and get thick smooth form. After it absorb water switch off flame.
- Serve it warm with almond flakes and you can add cashews nuts for garnishing
Try whole wheat flour halwa recipe at home and let me know your experiences…..!!!!! 🙂