Vegetarian Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers – Classic green Stuffed bell peppers gives a Mexican makeover with rice, black beans, corn, salsa and cheese, the perfect vegetarian version of Mexican stuffed peppers.
Stuffed peppers? Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers??? Why had I never attended earlier?
I got chance to visit very popular Mexican Restaurant in my city on my hubby’s birthday… I tried this stuffed peppers which was cheesier than my recipe. My hubby do not like more cheese so, I added just one slice 🙁 you can have more….
The best part of stuffed peppers is you can vary the types of filling according to your taste.
When I made Mexican fried rice, I wanted to use it as stuffing in stuffed peppers recipes.
To be very frank, this is not my first attempt of making vegetarian stuffed peppers. I tried Indian version, Chinese version (it was horrible!!!) and many more. But this Mexican version is as delicious as I ate at restaurant.
To make Mexican stuffed peppers with rice, you have to go though Mexican Fried Rice recipe. One more extra effort is to make salsa sauce. My salsa sauce hardly takes 2 minutes to cook. So major ingredients are Mexican Fried rice, salsa, cheese and yeah bell peppers. You can use any colour of bell peppers.
The stuffing I am going use is half cooked. So we need to half cook our bell peppers before doing the stuffing.
Cut the bell peppers, clean the insides, and brush the outer layer with butter. And cook for at least 10 minutes, in preheated oven at 375 – 400 degrees.
Now it is time for stuffing. First add about 2 tbsp rice and then add 1 tbsp of salsa at top. Then cover with cheese slice.
Finally cook in oven for again 10 -12 minutes till cheese is melted and you will get super healthy and tasty, Mexican version of Vegetarian stuffed peppers.
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Vegetarian Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
- You can use any recipe of Mexican rice, or some ready-made canned cooked rice is also available. But taste may vary according to…
- The stuffing I have chosen is almost cooked. So, make sure your bell peppers (capsicums) must be half cooked before you stuff it.
- If you have leftover fried rice, you can use it as stuffing into this recipe
- You can also use the canned salsa that is easily available into market. But I always tried to avoid canned food.
Vegetarian Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups Mexican Rice (you can find the recipe here)
- 4 green bell peppers
- 4 slices of cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- For Salsa:
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum (green bell pepper), finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili flex
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp vinegar
- Prepare the Mexican rice posted on my site as Mexican Fried Rice.
- Slice the bell peppers from top and remove scoop the insides.
- To make salsa, take all ingredients into oven proof bowl, and cook into oven for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and take baking dish and brush it with butter
- Brush the outer side of bell pepper with butter and bake them for 10 minutes
- Now add 3-4 tbsp of Mexican rice and add it into bell peppers. Then add 1-2 tbsp of salsa and finally cover with cheese slice. You can use any Mexican cheese.
- Fill all bell peppers and again put them into oven for 20 minutes. Or cook till cheese is melted.
You can also add one more cheese layer between rice and salsa filling.
You can use cheddar or any Mexican cheese if you like it.