Sprout Potato Basket Chaat Recipe always is a perfect starter for party. The delicious taste of this Potato Basket Chaat makes it the best dish for snacks or starter. Here, I am sharing a healthy version of potato basket chaat with you. And yes, it is one of my own creation of stuffing and baskets i am using here are fully home-made baskets.
In India, I don’t believe anyone, who says that “I don’t like Chaat!!!”. This is every Indian’s favorite. Mostly, chaat variants are all based on fried dough, with various other ingredients. It is always served with chutneys like tamarind chutney and green cilantro chutney. But stuffing and all other ingredients varies with region in which it is famous for. It is also famous as “Aloo Katori Chaat” or “Aloo Tokri Chaat” where ALOO is a Hindi word for “Potato” and TOKRI or KATORI means “Basket”. The original chaat is a mixture of potato pieces, crisp fried bread, gram or chickpeas and tangy-salty spices, with sour home-made tamarind sauce, fresh green coriander leaves and yogurt for garnish.
I love Indian fast food. Pani-puri is every girl’s special fast food in India. You can find in every region, in every street, in every corner of office, college and school at least one food-cart of PANI-PURI or CHAAT!!! So, it should be part of my chaat recipes list.
Generally, Ready-made baskets are available in market. So it become easier to make potato basket chaat, you just need to prepare stuffing and chutney. But there is one drawback of ready-made baskets. They have very hard texture, so when you eat it, it hurts in tongue and soft palate of your mouth. So, we always use home-made baskets. In ready-made baskets they use better, but we use dough to make baskets. So that dough makes baskets softer and good for Chaat.
I have tried to make this dish healthier using more sprouts as a protein sources. I have added pulses more in stuffing part and so it increases its nutritional values. You can do variation in stuffing by adding vegetable or with other ingredients as you like.
Sprout Potato Basket Chaat Recipe | How to make Potato Basket Chaat
- 200 gm wheat flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil to fry
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup jaggery
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 5 green chili medium spicy
- 1 inch size ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup coriander
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup chickpeas overnight soaked and boiled
- ½ cup green gram whole overnight soaked and boiled
- ½ cup green mutter boiled
- ½ cup potato boiled and diced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- pinch of turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida
- salt to taste
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup onion finally chopped
- ½ cup hung curd
- ¼ cup green fresh coriander
- In a bowl mix wheat flour, oil, and salt. Add water as needed to make firm dough.
- Make very small ball from dough and roll out into 3-4 inches diameter flat base (poori) with a rolling pin
- Mean while heat the oil in frying pan.
- Take mould of basket, or you can use muffin mould. But it should make of metal.
- Cover flat base outside the mould and fry it with the mould. Once it starts to turning golden, it will automatically separate from mould.
- Gentally handle it and take it out from oil. From above measurement you can make around 25-30 baskets
- In a pan, take seedless tamarind and dates with ½ cup of water. Cover pan with lid, cook them about 15 minutes. You can do microwave them about 10 minutes.
- Let them cool down to room temperature.
- In grinder, pour the entire mixture and grind them to smooth paste.
- After strain the mixture through a strainer.
- Add jaggery, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder. And stir until jaggery dissolves.
- Tamarind chutney is ready to serve
- Add green chili, ginger, garlic, coriander, salt, lemon juice, sugar in grinder and grind them till smooth paste.
- Add 2-3 tbsp water as required.
- Green Coriander Chutney is now ready
- In a pan, heat the oil; add chickpeas, green gram, and green Mutter potato.
- Add all spices red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, lemon juice, sugar and mix them well.
- Cook for just 2 minutes
- Take one basket and add 1 tbsp stuffing that we have prepared.
- Add pomegranate seeds, onion as you like more or less.
- Add 1 tbsp hung curd.
- Add chutneys tamarind chutney and Green Coriander Chutney as you like...
- Mostly add 3-4 tbsp tamarind chutney and 1 tbsp Green Chutney. It tastes so good!!!
2) You can also store tamarind chutney for 1 week in airtight container in refrigerator. So if you want to serve this recipe as party dish than preparation of making baskets and tamarind Chutney earlier, so you required to do only assembling all ingredients.
3) But make Green Coriander Chutney fresh when you making this recipe.
Now, nJoy your party with this Healthier Sprout Potato Basket Chaat Recipe. 🙂