Split black gram lentil soup is little twist of Indian Urad Dal recipe. This restaurant style look makes it attractive, but not only look, the heart of this recipe is its taste and lovely creamy texture. This lentil soup is famous in Punjab as well as Rajasthan. So I have made fusion of two state’s taste with Gujarati tadka.
The black lentils have a black skin. And this urad dal is split gram lentil with its skin removed. This lentil is white in color and it has mild flavor compared to other lentils.
This is super versatile lentil…
In North India, soup and curry are the most popular dishes made from this black gram lentil.
In South India, it is used in tempering (tadka) and it is main ingredients for making dosa, idali and vada (very popular south Indian dishes).
In west India, in Gujarat and Rajasthan, this spicy lentil soup is very popular. I don’t know about other families of Gujarat, but in my family split black gram lentil soup is always in weekly menu.
The main drawback of this lentil soup, it is too heavy to digest. So, one bowl is enough for lunch or dinner. If you take some Indian bread with it, then make sure, you consume it in less quantity.
Because of this reason, this soup is considered to be a winter recipe. Avoid when summer is at peak.
The combination of garlic and black gram lentil is super delicious. You cannot make this dal recipe without garlic, and if you add some raw garlic during serving, it enhance the taste of it. I always have some garlic chutney with it.
Avoid Mistakes At First Attempt of Making Split Black Gram Lentil Soup
- Do not overcook it. If you use pressure cooker, just two whistles are enough. But if you use slow cooker method then it may take more time to cook.
- You can also add chopped tomatoes in soup.
- The second tadka is totally optional. It gives it restaurant like look and more spicy flavor.
- Don’t use oil in tadka, if you don’t have ghee then use butter.
Split Black Gram Lentil Soup | Urad Dal Recipe
- 1 cup spilt black gram lentil (urad dal)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 5 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Some curry leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 cup lentil and 3 cup water, turmeric powder and salt. Cool till 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Now after open the pressure cooker, add green chili, ginger, red chili powder and lemon juice.
- In sauce pan, heat the ghee. Then add minced garlic and cumin seeds, some curry leaves. Add that lentil mixture into pan, and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the salt if required.
- Finally add the fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- For last restaurant like tempering(tadka) , in a small pan take 1 tbsp ghee, add 2 crushed garlic cloves. Let it cook for just half-minute. Now switch off the gas add 1 tsp red chili powder and mix it.
- When you serve it, add red tadka on top. (this is optional)
I hope its creamy and sticky texture make will make you the fan of split black gram lentil soup. Try it and share your feedback with me.
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!