If these Spicy Mashed Potato donuts don’t amaze you, I am sure nothing else will. There are so many recipes which can be made from this magic ingredient mashed potatoes. This Spicy Mashed potato donuts are very unique and delicious which stands out from all ordinary mashed potatoes recipes.
One confusion..!! Should we call it Donut or Doughnut? I think both are same. Doughnut is more traditional word. And Donut is the shorten form of Doughnut. You can found more info here.
Donut is a very popular fried dough confectionery in many eastern countries. Normally, it is prepared as a sweet dish as you find in markets, bakeries, food stalls and also in franchised outlets. The identity of donut is its shape that is typically ‘torus’ – ring donut or filled donut. To make dough for donut special type of yeast- raised cake better is used and there are lots of variations are there to make sweet donuts. But the usage of mashed potato as dough in donuts is very popular now a days.
I want to admit one thing that I am a huge fan of mashed potato ingredient. I can create hundreds of recipes from it. I can create dips, appetizers, sweets and also the tempting filling for sandwiches or Indian breads. So I have been thinking about how I can translate this mashed potatoes into delicious donuts. And eureka, I got this spicy version of donuts from my thought book.
Many times we come across a situation when we have some extra mashed potatoes left. So, what to do with leftover potatoes? If you have leftover mashed potatoes, this is best way to use it for tasty appetizer dish. I have used tofu to make it more nutritious. Plus, I have used bread crumbs, which are very good for binding purpose. I have also added some vegetables like carrot and onion, I think green pea may also enhance the taste of this deep fried crispy donuts.
For party, this recipe goes well as starters or appetizers. You can serve it with Russian salad. And you know what! You can use flavored cheese spread as dip with this recipe, and you will have the best combo for party starters.
This Spicy Mashed Potato Donuts are very tender on the inside and crispy from the outside. Kids will also love this recipe.
Spicy Mashed Potato Donuts | A Leftover Mashed Potato Recipe
- ½ cup mashed potatoes
- ½ cup grated tofu
- 1 cup bread crumbs fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- ½ tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tbsp pepper powder (freshly crushed)
- salt to taste
- In bowl, take all ingredients (mashed potato, tofu, bread crumbs, garlic minced, onion, carrot, paprika powder, pepper powder, salt). Mix them well. And try to maintain consistency of mixture for making ring shape
- Put the mixture on refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Now make shape of ring doughnuts from mixture. You can make around 6-8 doughnuts from this quantity.
- Now in small bowl, take 1 tbsp corn flour and dilute it into water and make corn flour slurry form it.
- In another plate take bread crumbs for coating.
- Take one doughnut, dip it into corn flour slurry, do the coating of bread crumbs. And fry them to medium hit.
Things to remember at “First Attempt” of making Spicy Mashed Potato Donuts
- Use the fresh bread crumbs; it will help to make donut shape.
- The quantity of breadcrumbs is depends on the texture of tofu and mashed potatoes, add to maintain balance of moisture in both of them.
- Don’t forget to put mixture into freezer for say 5-10 minutes. It will help you to make donut shape perfectly.
- I did not use any mold for making my donuts. Use your hands to make petties like shape first. Then make a hole in middle and give shape like donuts.
If you have any leftover mashed potatoes, use it now!!! And if not, you know how to cook mashed potatoes, right?
Hurry up…!!!! I am waiting for your comments 🙂