Rajma Curry With Jeera Rice OR Rajma Chawal Recipe – Red kidney beans curry spiced in tomato and onion puree with basmati rice tempered in roasted cumin. Rajma Curry with Jeera Rice is the soul north Indian speciality and you can find it in any north Indian restaurants all over the world.
Red kidney beans have great impact on many cuisines like Mexican, Srilankan, African and Indian. It can be included into curries, soups, salad, warps and burgers. You can find Mexican mixed soup recipe that is also included with red kidney beans.
As vegetarian, the main source of protein is only beans and pulses. Not only protein but they are also gives more benefits like fiber, antioxidants.
One thing I have to admit that among all beans, kidney beans are best and full of protein and fiber. It has high fiber content which helps to prevents sugar level. It also prevents ageing process.
Hmm!!! Now, I am clear why all north Indian people adopted wisely in their daily routine. Even worldwide kidney beans are integral part of many cuisines. You can also visit my another best north Indian Dish Malai Kofta Curry
But one drawback here!!! Kidney beans are gas-producing, that’s why you need to add some digestive spices like garlic, ginger, cumin and peppercorn while cooking it. And hence, it mostly served with some grains like rice or roti (wheat flour) that helps to digest.
You can find so many methods to make form different regions of Indian to make Rajma Curry or Rajma Chawal. My thought to make it is little different way.
So how to make Rajma Curry?
Generally, they are cooked in pressure cooker as slow cooking method. But I used to make it with onion-tomato gravy.
To make gravy, you have to take tomatoes, onion and ginger make puree from it. Raw ingredients are used to make gravy.
You also need to boil the kidney beans and take 1/4 cup from it and also make paste of it.
To make masala powder, you have to take some dry spices and make powder from it; I do not use readymade garam masala powder for it. I make my own. This will make it different form ordinary.
Next step is to start cooking and do the tempering, I suggest to use more garlic in this recipe, it will enhance the taste.
Let the onion-tomato puree cook perfectly and finally add some turmeric to give nice color. And add kidney beans and let it cook for lets day 10 minutes.
Then your curry is ready to serve. You can enjoy it with some roti, naan, paratha. But it goes best with the rice. And don’t forget to serve some onion salad or simply raw onions to complement the taste of Rajma-Rice.
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Rajma Curry with Jeera Rice
- Boil the kidney beans perfectly. If they looks little bit crackle than it seems to cook perfect. If they under-cooked, you cannot digest it.
- You can also use ready-made garam masala powder.
- Using 1/4 cup puree of boiled kidney beans itself make thick gravy and also balance the taste of tomato gravy.
Rajma Curry With Jeera Rice | Rajma Chawal Recipe
- 200 gm tomatoes
- 150 gm onions
- 1 inch of ginger (2 tbsp minced ginger)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- 1 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 8-10 pepper corns
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
- 1 cup red kidney beans, socked for 4-5 hours
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 green chili
- 1 cup basmati rice, (long grain rice)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ cup water
- Cilantro for garnish
- Take all ingredients (tomato, onions, ginger) for gravy into food processor and make smooth paste or gravy from it.
- Take kidney beans into pressure cooker and cook till 5-7 whistles. Allow the pressure to ease off before opening the cooker. Then drain the kidney beans and let it cool down.
- Keep ¼ cup kidney beans aside, and make paste of it.
- Heat the 2 tbsp ghee into skillet and add garlic and bay leaf. Let it cook for half minute.
- Take one green chili spit it into two and add into ghee. Then add tomato puree and also the masala powder and let it cook.
- Once the tomato looks to be cooked then add turmeric powder and salt and mix it well
- Finally add kidney beans and kidney beans paste into the gravy and add ½ cup water.
- Cover the skillet with lid, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Kidney beans curry is ready to serve.
- To make cumin rice or jeera rice into microwave, take rice and water into ovenproof bowl, and add cumin seeds and ghee into it.
- Set the oven for 12 minutes. And let it cook. Every 4 minutes check the rice, give a stir and add water if needed. Your instant jeera rice is ready to go with kidney beans curry.