Mixed bean soup recipe combined with some vegetables fulfills a perfect, healthy and simple veggie bean soup as one bowl meal. I always look for new ways to eat healthier one pot meal. And this homemade soup is the best fit.
If you have been struggling to get more creative in the kitchen, this mixed bean soup recipe must drag you to kitchen to give a try. Using the basic concept of soup and beans together, you can add anything you have in your freeze to make this healthy vegetarian soup. I usually have plenty of dried beans in my kitchen, and today I have used chick pea, black kidney beans, and black eyed beans for making this soup. I added some vegetables like carrot, green pea and green peppers to make it healthier. But let me tell you one thing, I never compromise with taste. This soup is very flavorful and tastes as good as plain tomato soup.
Today’s mixed bean soup also brings up some old- aged questions, “Do I need to pre-soak the beans?” or “Can I use canned beans for this soup?” let me give you answer one by one. About pre-soak the beans, the short answer is YES. At least 8 hours of soaking the beans reduce the cooking time, reduces the natural sugar which is trouble for human body to digest.
For second question also, my answer is YES. There is one advantage that canned bean over dried one that canned beans comes with some nice, full-boiled liquid. So that’s go awesome in soup. But only one real problem with canned beans is Flavor. With dried beans, you have many options of cooking with different media like water, vegetable stock – and you can add different aromatics you would like – onions, carrots, thyme, celery, butter, oregano in order to give it built in flavor. That’s up to you, to use canned beans or not. If you can cook this soup with canned beans, try to balance the taste of soup according to taste of canned beans.
It looks like a lot of work to make but it’s actually quite simple. So keep in mind below points if you are trying for the first time.
Mixed Bean Soup Recipe | Vegetarian Mixed Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 salary stalks
- 1 large carrot, diced and par- boiled
- ½ cup green pea, par- boiled
- 300 gm chopped tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup mixed beans, socked over night (8 hours) and par – boiled
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- Place the onion, garlic, celery in a large pan. Now add chopped tomato and stir it. Now add vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring the vegetable mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make sure that all tomato cook perfectly, then add mixed bean, carrot, green peppers into the mixture and continue to cook, uncovered for additional 5 minutes.
- Now balance the salt and pepper powder, and add red chili powder into soup. Heat though, stirring occasionally, for an additional 2-3 minutes, but do not let the mixture boil again. Switch off flame of gas and at last add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and some fresh cream.
2) Serve with bread or rice.
Things to remember At “First Attempt” of making Mixed Bean Soup Recipe
- Do not use blanched tomato for this recipe.
- Do not overcook the soaked beans. Otherwise soup will become less watery.
- If you are going to use canned beans, add beans after 2nd And if you have flavored canned beans then balance taste accordingly.
You can serve this mixed bean soup recipe as worm. Garnish with chopped cilantro and fresh cream. Some bread toast or garlic bread also tastes good with this soup. We had it with rice (Jeera Rice). Have this awesome dish at dinner time and have great fun. 🙂
Welcome to Veggie Food Recipes! My name is Reena Vyas, former software engineer and now full time Food Blogger. My food blog is the highlight of my passion towards cooking. And by sharing healthy & vegetarian fusion of different cuisines I would like to contribute to the world of veggie food lovers…..!!!!!