Masala Pav Recipe – Masala pav bhaji cooked with potatoes, onions, tomatoes and cabbage seasoned with famous pav bhaji masala served as Masala Pav, Indian style sloppy Joe. Pav bhaji and masala pav are famous Indian street food which you can ind in every state, in every city, in every street.
The origin of pav bhaji is MUMBAI. You can find the best and authentic pav bhaji only in the Mumbai streets… I find myself lucky that I ate pav bhaji in Mumbai at Juhu beach that is suburb of Mumbai. I was just 12 years old. But I still remember that taste of pav bhaji.
As my food journey has completed the 6 months, I discovered lots of information about street food from all across the world.
One of my friends, just moved to Canada, and he always told me about the burger and the sloppy joe. They are the famous street food in his area. He wanted me to share Indian sloppy joe, and guess I found it!!!
Here is new beginning of eating the pav bhaji in sloppy joe style…
My Masala pav bhaji recipe is way different than authentic one, but this is the determinative and my signature dish. If I will start my food stall or restaurant (It’s my dream and I will be!), this will be top on menu!!!
Main Ingredients are
- Potatoes (boiled)
- Green peas (boiled)
- Cabbage or cauliflower (boiled)
I also like some brinjal (eggplant) but not the black one, I prefer the it with green skin. But they are only available in winter an only some part of India.
How to make Masala Pav bhaji?
Remove the skin of potatoes and cut them into large dices. And also take cabbage cut into large pieces and cook both into pressure cooker. You can add green pea in pressure cooker with other two ingredients, but then they will be overcooked. you need to use finely chopped onion and tomatoes.
Now start to cook bhaji. Let the lots of butter into large sauce pan, first cook the onions into butter and then add ginger-garlic-chili paste. Finally cook tomatoes into it. You can add capsicum at this stage.
Once onion-tomatoes cook perfectly, add pav -bhaji masala powder and some red chili powder. Cook for little more.
Then add mashed potato-cabbage mixture and season with salt. Let it cook for atleast 10 minutes.
At the last stage, add green peas and my secret ingredient garlic-mango chutney. And again cook for more extra minutes. I suggest taste it and adjust the salt.
Once your pav-bhaji is ready, you can serve it as our traditional street food with roasted pav. But I serve it as sloppy joe style. I did not roast the pav. I just apply some garlic – mango chutney, and did the felling of lots of bhaji, garnish with some onion salad. And enjoy the masala pav with buttermilk. People love soda with it, but you can try buttermilk!!! 😉
Avoid Mistakes at First Attempt of Making Masala Pav Recipe
- You can add more vegetables like eggplant, bottle gourd, cabbage. But the taste may differ according to amount of different vegetables.
- Some venders are using food color to give red hot color to pav bhaji. I never use any color to my food, so you find my pav- bhaji looking different form those available in market.
Masala Pav recipe
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cabbage, diced
- 5 small sized onions
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen)
- ½ tbsp green chili paste
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- ½ tbsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp pav bhaji masala powder
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ginger-mango chutney
- 8 tbsp butter
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Peel the potatoes and cut then into large dice, same way cut the cabbage into large shape. Take both into pressure cooker and let it boil till 4-5 whistles.
- Then using blender, crush them. Meanwhile do the chopping of onions and tomatoes.
- I prefer to boil green pea separate from potatoes and cabbage. But you can also cook all together.
- Heat the large deep sauce pan on medium flame, and take lots of butter into it. And add onion and cook it translucent
- Then add ginger-garlic-chili paste into it and again cook for 2 minutes. Finally add tomatoes.
- Add 1 tbsp pav-bhaji masala powder and red chili powder cover it with lid, and let it cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Once onion-tomato are cooked, add potato and cabbage mixture into it, add salt according to taste, add some more pav-bhaji masala powder. (optional)
- Then again cook for 10 minutes. At the end add green pea and 1 tbsp garlic-mango chutney (my secret ingredient)
- Give a nice stir and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Take a pav or bun and spread just little mango-garlic chutney and do the stuffing 4-5 tbsp pav bhaji. Garnish with chopped onion.
2) You can serve it as pav bhaji style.
3) In market, venders are using red food color to make it more red hot and spicy. But I avoided it.