I am happy to share simple healthy vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe with gram flour and fenugreek seeds stuffing. These vegan stuffed peppers are very quick to make and are well balanced with the taste of medium spicy green peppers and fenugreek seeds. In India we have a variety of different stuffed peppers vegetarian recipes. The stuffing is made from gram flour usually but I twisted it by adding fenugreek seeds to make it more flavorful.
I must say, we Indian, especially Gujarati people, live only for food or I must say “They live to eat!!!”. During holidays or weekends, we eat four times a day. Lunch contains main dish as well as side dishes. Sometime we have more than 10 items to eat at-a-time. 🙂 It includes salads, relishes, pickles, fryums, sweets, starters, sambhara recipes and many more side dishes are part of daily meals!!! We don’t forget to add at-least one of above side dishes in lunch box.
One by one I want to share all these side dishes with you. So let me start with unique combination of healthy stuffed peppers and fenugreek seeds. Typically we use a type of green peppers called “Bhavnagari Green Peppers” originated from Bhavnagar, Guajarat, India. They are somewhat greater than typical Indian peppers that you get in market furthermore less spicy contrasted with other small sized peppers. In case you don’t get Bhavnagri Green Peppers then you can also use other type of medium sized peppers which are available in your market. Simply ensure they are not very spicy.
I used fenugreek seeds (also knonwn as “methi”) in stuffing also because of its health benefits. It helps to reduce cholesterol level, controls blood sugar levels, helps you lose weight, helps soothe skin inflammation and reduces scars. It can also help resolve hair problems. My parents daily take 10-15 fenugreek seeds as raw as they aware about these health benefits. I tried to make this recipe healthier and also include the health benefits of new ingredient “fenugreek seeds”.
Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers with Fenugreek Seeds
- 100 gm less spicy and big green peppers (you can use any peppers that can be stuffed)
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- ¼ tbsp asafoetida
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp celery
- ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp lime juice
- 1+1/2 tbsp groundnut oil
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- To prepare stuffing, first you need to grind fenugreek seeds roughly. Do not make powder of it.
- Take a bowl; add Gram flour, asafoetida, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds, sugar, lime juice, ½ tbsp oil. Mix all ingredients well.
- Rinse the peppers very well with water. Then clean them with kitchen towel. Remove the pepper crowns, if you want. I always keep them.
- Slit each pepper from one side using knife. Start slitting from the top and keep upto bottom before the end. Remove the seeds and the pith, so that we can do stuffing
- Stuff ½ tbsp stuffing in pepper, and so the same for all peppers.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds, and let them crackle and pop. After that add cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida.
- After just half minute, add stuffed peppers.
- Let them cook for at least 10 minutes; in between you need to stir the peppers.
- After 10 minutes, it’s ready to serve.
2) You can also store this healthy stuffed peppers in refrigerator for 2 days.
Please try my Healthy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers recipe at your home and let me know your feedback. 🙂