Cheesy Green Peas Stuffed Paratha is an Indian style shallow fried flat Indian bread, stuffed with soft mixture of green pea and yummy cheese. This is the best combination of color, taste and complete meal of all types of nutrition. This recipe is also known as Cheesy Matar Paratha in Hindi.
Anything made with green pea is always big hit for your recipe. Simply adding salt and green pea to your plain rice makes it more colorful and delicious. I love the season when lots of green beans and green vegetables are available in market. Mostly in winter, my refrigerator is full of the green peas, French beans, pigeon pea and lots of leafy vegetables. And among with them, matar (green pea) is my favorite one. In-fact I store almost 5 kgs green pea for whole year. So that I can use frozen matar and have delicious recipe till next season. 🙂
This recipe is,
- Highly colorful
- Full pack of nutrition
- Damn delicious
- Perfect for brunch
- Rich of flavor
- Cheesy and yummy
Generally, Green Peas Stuffed Paratha is the best choice for breakfast. But everyone is hurry in morning, so I prefer this recipe at dinner time. But you can make stuffing at early stage, and store it in refrigerator for 2 days. You can use this stuffing at morning time and have healthy breakfast or brunch for you busy weekly days.
Paratha goes best with curd or yogurt or raita. Raita is dish in which you can give best tangy and sweet flavor to curd. Pickle is best complement for paratha. So you can have any stuffed paratha with curd and pickle.
Cheesy Green Peas Stuffed Paratha
- 1 ½ cup green pea
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp green chili paste (i prefer spicy chilies)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ tbsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cup whole wheat flour + more for dusting
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 or 1⅓ cup water
- oil for making paratha
- In large sauce pan, boil the water, add salt and green pea. Boil the green pea for 10 minutes. Drain the peas well. We don’t want any water left into mutter. Do not cook it into pressure cooker.
- You can cook pea into microwave. Take ovenproof bowl add green pea, salt and half cup water into it. And microwave it for just 5-7 minutes. Then drain the peas, remove access water from it.
- Now in food processor, roughly crush them. Do not make fine paste of it.
- Take out the mixture in bowl and add garlic paste, green chili paste, coriander, pepper powder, salt and mix it well.
- Put mixture aside and start to make dough for paratha.
- In a large bowl, take flour and salt. Now add oil and mix oil using rubbing flour with fingers.
- Now add some water let’s say ½ cup, and start kneading the dough. Add more water as required. Make smooth dough and give a rest for 10 minutes.
- After giving rest for 10 minutes, again knead the dough and make 8-10 large rolls form it.
- Before making paratha add cheese into green pea mixture, and also divide the mixture into 8-10 parts or balls.
- Now take a roll of dough, roll it into small size- 4 inch diameter circle using rolling pan. Put around 2 tbsp green pea and cheese stuffing at center of the paratha, now bring together all the edges in the center and join them. Cover the stuffing with paratha.
- Now dust the flour on both the side of stuffed roll, and again roll it gently into 6 inch diameter circle.
- Parallel, heat the tawa or roasting pan into medium heat. Once hot, place the paratha and cook for half minutes, using spatula now flip it and cook another half minutes. Now we need to shallow fry it.
- Then apply some oil, half tbsp on one side, again flip it, apply another half tbsp oil into another side and let them cook until it looks crispy and golden brown spots appears.
- If your paratha roll out perfectly, then paratha will rise or puff while cooking it in tawa.
- Repeat the same process for all other paratha. And cover them into hot-pot.
2) Adding 1 tbsp garam masala will also give it Indian touch.
3) Serve with pickle or curd (Dahi raita)
4) You can serve it with onion salad and buttermilk.
5) Cheese can be replaced with paneer or cottage cheese, it is also considered to be an amazing recipe of north Indian cuisine.
Things to remember At “First Attempt” of making Green Peas Stuffed Paratha
- Keep dough smooth and soft. It will helpful to roll out stuffed paratha perfectly, and you may have perfect puffed or raised paratha.
- Keep in mind that the stuffing should not loose or lumpy. When you drain green pea, make sure, it should not have any moisture left. Try to create dry mixture.
- Let the mixture cool down completely. It should be cooled at least at room temperature.
- When you are ready to roll out dough, add cheese into stuffing. Do not add cheese when your mixture is hot. Otherwise cheese started to melt, and mixture will become lumpy.
Looks tempting, right? Try this Green Peas Stuffed Paratha at your home and stay tuned for more amazing recipes. 🙂